Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-05-2015, 05:09 AM

jason604 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherd View Post
I'm wondering why the transition from the wood to the tile is where it is? What does the opposite view look like?
Wood trim will only be around the tank itself. Here's a pic of the back in the fish room. I'm leaving the stud bare like that cuz nk1 will see it except me n it will leave me a lot of room to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
If you make two slab doors to fit the opening(3/4" thick) and paint them wall colour, then mount them flush with the wall with European cabinet door hinges(I would recommend salice but Blum would be ok). Put touch latches on the back and you're done. Nice and clean, only a couple margin lines.

The doors would have to be a plywood core with a smooth skin so the paint would be smooth. Also watch for a sheet that is flat as some plywood likes to warp pretty bad.
Hmm I think this might actually look really good. Will deff take a lot of hard work tho. Can I find those type of latches and hinges at Home Depot? I went there to check out their wood trims with designs on it but they were pretty damn ugly. Any1 know where I can find nice trims locally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
It's definitely a pain in the butt in some ways when you can't access from the front such as positioning rock/corals as you have to position, walk around, look, go back, reposition, walk around, look, etc. In the end though, it's a sleeker look and I wouldn't do it any other way.
Exactly! Back n forth will be dreadful but my main concerns was that I won't be able to reach certain corals that will be place on the front glass at all with my rock work I'm planning to do if I can't access the front. I read many in wall tank builds and every1 who didn't have front access regretted it dearly
Old 01-05-2015, 05:20 AM

Gp Scott is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason604 View Post
Wood trim will only be around the tank itself. Here's a pic of the back in the fish room. I'm leaving the stud bare like that cuz nk1 will see it except me n it will leave me a lot of room to work with.

Hmm I think this might actually look really good. Will deff take a lot of hard work tho. Can I find those type of latches and hinges at Home Depot? I went there to check out their wood trims with designs on it but they were pretty damn ugly. Any1 know where I can find nice trims locally?

Exactly! Back n forth will be dreadful but my main concerns was that I won't be able to reach certain corals that will be place on the front glass at all with my rock work I'm planning to do if I can't access the front. I read many in wall tank builds and every1 who didn't have front access regretted it dearly
I would drywall it over my tank is in the closet with back access flush with drywall and no trim
Old 01-05-2015, 05:31 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

If it were me I would slide those two studs behind the tank to the sides, perhaps adding a double 2x10 header. This would give more room to access the tank from the back, and then you'd be able to drywall the front side clean.

I'd finish it all off with a painting of a giant squid fighting a whale.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:40 AM

jason604 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
If it were me I would slide those two studs behind the tank to the sides, perhaps adding a double 2x10 header. This would give more room to access the tank from the back, and then you'd be able to drywall the front side clean.

I'd finish it all off with a painting of a giant squid fighting a whale.
Moving the studs n using two 2x10 was my first plan but since this is a load bearing wall I don't want to mess around with it too much. 16" should be enough room for me to work with. Lol the squid vs a whale picture to cover the gap would be awesome
Old 01-05-2015, 12:21 PM

Noodles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason604 View Post
Hmm I think this might actually look really good. Will deff take a lot of hard work tho. Can I find those type of latches and hinges at Home Depot? I went there to check out their wood trims with designs on it but they were pretty damn ugly.
Yeah, Home Depot carries a lot of the Blum hinges and should have touch latches as well. The hinges from your original doors should work as well though.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:35 PM

Cody is on a distinguished road

I have an in wall tank with no front acess and the inconvenience of maintenance isn't all that bad. I don't even have direct back access because of my furnace. I have swing doors from a bathroom on one side and access on the other side from my mech room. Iadmit that many times I have to walk around to the front to inspect any work, and often I go back and forth a dozen times but I love the finished in wall look.

Good luck, it will look great no matter what you decide.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:18 PM

matt_C is on a distinguished road

i would do something like this

looks sweet and you can still feed your fish.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:54 PM

seabreeze is on a distinguished road

Maybe take a look at this thread

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=102101

Walter has a built in tank... great access from the front... and looks nice!

Maybe door above and below?????

Pic of tank in kitchen is on page 2 of thread
Old 01-05-2015, 09:05 PM

Frynoodle is on a distinguished road

Place a curtain at the back as decoration is easy and good enough.

Last edited by Frynoodle; 01-05-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:33 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

you could drywall it all in then tile or stone the entire wall. have a nice accent wall look to it.