Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
Sheesh, couldn't you have more cords or salt creep in there or something? We could do a TOTM off that sump

Never had any problems with salt creep, even after adding an mp40
Old 12-17-2014, 05:33 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I think salt creep just likes me. I don't have a ton of splashing but it seems I have salt everywhere.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:59 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I use 2 glass baffles. The first is 9-10" tall, siliconed to the sump bottom so that it creates a "skimmer box" that has very stable water level, which improves skimmer efficiency. If you have no baffles, your water level might fluctuate a bit, even with an ATO, but with a skimmer box, no fluctuations.

The second is at the far end of the sump, with room an inch wider than the biggest pump I'm going to use as a return and its about a cm or so above the bottom of the sump. The center chamber is filled with rubble, extra live rock, macro algae, etc. This allows water to pass through without any bubbles on your return.

I make the skimmer box big enough to hold the biggest skimmer I'm likely to use, plus enough room to add some extra equipment, like media reactors & heaters & filter sock.

Unlike a lot of others, I have a big skimmer (90g wide - 48" x 24" x 18" tall) so I have room for everything. If space is an issue, the center chamber can be made smaller cause the rubble and chaeto will trap the bubbles anyways.

Anthony