Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-02-2014, 04:16 PM

EquiReef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post

Sponge is so quick and easy, with just some squeezing and rinsing in the sink. The gunk comes out real fast, and then pop it back into your sump.
I was totally with you on the sponge as the bleaching process does not seem enjoyable or quick at all. But then you mentioned using the washing machine and it caught my interest. Can they just be thrown in with bleach and then used right away? Or is there a whole process still? I have no issues using my machine for this, cant be any worse than washing the horse blankets in there lol.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:32 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquiReef View Post
I was totally with you on the sponge as the bleaching process does not seem enjoyable or quick at all. But then you mentioned using the washing machine and it caught my interest. Can they just be thrown in with bleach and then used right away? Or is there a whole process still? I have no issues using my machine for this, cant be any worse than washing the horse blankets in there lol.
Have not used the washing machine myself, but a lot of people do. Just add a little bleach with the wash cycle. I would probably turn them inside out, too, so all the crud gets washed out. I think this is probably a way better than manual washing them like I did.

You still need to let them dry, to air out any bleach, and perhaps use a dechlorizer soak as well. That's why you want a bunch of them, so you can clean several at a time.

And if you do go filter socks, use the large 7" inch ones, as they last a lot longer.

Last edited by Reef Pilot; 05-02-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:36 PM

harlequin01 is on a distinguished road

my skimmer would go crazy after putting new filter socks washed in bleach. now i rinsed the socks in clean ro water and that usually do the trick
Old 05-05-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequin01 View Post
my skimmer would go crazy after putting new filter socks washed in bleach. now i rinsed the socks in clean ro water and that usually do the trick
How often do you clean your filter socks? Have you ever used a sponge and if you have, how did they compare?
Old 05-05-2014, 03:05 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post

With filter socks, you have to put them in bleach for a couple days, then turn them inside out to scrub them clean, and then back in the water with a dechlorizer solution for another day, and then dry. Some do them in the washing machine, but I know my wife would not allow that... Was a real PITA for me.

Wow I don't think I know one person who goes through that much trouble to wash a sock lol no wonder you quit using them lol

I just rinse twice in regular wash , no bleach no hand washing , no dechlorinizer ( ? )

Takes about half an hour and the machine does most the work, I do push the button though

For the hour at best it takes me to wash socks I run the system sock free

Sponges are fine too but I did that long before socks were around and popular in Sumps , not much has changed in the way of sponge technology so I doubt I'd be going back.

With that said properly running and healthy system needs no fabrics at all to run its just ease of maintenance , I've ran many setups without as I was always to lazy to squeeze sponges and custom fitting a sock into my existing sump wasn't gonna happen then lol
Old 05-05-2014, 03:15 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
With that said properly running and healthy system needs no fabrics at all to run its just ease of maintenance , I've ran many setups without as I was always to lazy to squeeze sponges and custom fitting a sock into my existing sump wasn't gonna happen then lol
I tried running without anything for a while, but found my skimmer neck was collecting gunk more quickly, and needed more frequent cleaning to keep it working effectively.

I still say that it is faster to squeeze/rinse my sponge than it takes for your filter socks (2 min beats 1 hour)...

And BTW, since when did you start capitalizing and punctuating your posts, and thinking about spelling!!???...

Last edited by Reef Pilot; 05-05-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:17 PM

So given my level of laziness and the fact I have free range of using my washing machine, I think I will go with filter socks. But I think I will buy 4 or 5 of them and just throw them in a bucket until I have a few to wash at a time. Laziness will always win out with me lol.

So washing them in the washing machine- I just put it on rinse twice and thats it? No soap or bleach?
Old 05-05-2014, 03:18 PM
R.I.P.

I also don't clean my skimmer neck lol maybe once a year
Old 05-05-2014, 03:24 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquiReef View Post
So given my level of laziness and the fact I have free range of using my washing machine, I think I will go with filter socks. But I think I will buy 4 or 5 of them and just throw them in a bucket until I have a few to wash at a time. Laziness will always win out with me lol.

So washing them in the washing machine- I just put it on rinse twice and thats it? No soap or bleach?

Yup that's all I do , I dont need them white like my t-shirts and they last me over a week.

1 x 7" sock does the job that a few 4" socks does so if there's space go larger. There are different sixes and microns that socks come in all have diff purposes so choose the socks for the right job, some can be washed by hand others require machine (can do by hand but that's a pita)
Old 05-05-2014, 03:28 PM
R.I.P.

I have enough things to do that if I can eliminate daily chores then I will

I'm not a fan of socks or sponges but I'm also not a fan of 4yr crud in my sump lol