Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-05-2014, 03:30 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
And BTW, since when did you start capitalizing and punctuating your posts, and thinking about spelling!!???...
You might have missed this comment, as it was a later edit... But am still curious about the new change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
I also don't clean my skimmer neck lol maybe once a year
Don't know what kind of skimmer you have, but mine (Vertex) looks pretty bad, just after a week...
Old 05-05-2014, 03:30 PM

EquiReef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have enough things to do that if I can eliminate daily chores then I will

I'm not a fan of socks or sponges but I'm also not a fan of 4yr crud in my sump lol
I couldnt agree more. I want to do as little as possible. I have a lot of regrets with the setup of our original tank and I dont want to make them again. The least amount of work I can do, the better. So I think I will buy a bunch of filter socks, as large as I can fit. How do I know which kind is the right kind for me?
Old 05-05-2014, 03:34 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquiReef View Post
I couldnt agree more. I want to do as little as possible. I have a lot of regrets with the setup of our original tank and I dont want to make them again. The least amount of work I can do, the better. So I think I will buy a bunch of filter socks, as large as I can fit. How do I know which kind is the right kind for me?

Buy an assortment and see what you like for each , when scrubbing down my tanks I use the nylon socks and clean by hand , for general use I use the polyfibre and they last over a week and clog less.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
200 micron 7" X 16" socks worked best for me (when I was using them).
Old 05-05-2014, 03:35 PM

EquiReef is on a distinguished road

Ok, good to know. Chances are my LFS will have one kind and one size so I think I will have to travel to find what I want.

Next question is skimmer. I think I have decided on a Vertex. Has anyone found anywhere that has super good prices on them or will give you a deal if you buy everything from them?(lights, skimmer, pumps etc)?
Old 05-05-2014, 03:36 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
You might have missed this comment, as it was a later edit... But am still curious about the new change...

I took a class lol New phone so I'm gonna go with a better auto correct my last one sucked lol
Don't know what kind of skimmer you have, but mine (Vertex) looks pretty bad, just after a week...

I have a csc450 and not that nothing ever builds up but my skimmer is well oversized and nutrients are undetectable so I don't see the benefit to cleaning it? Skimmer really only pulls out so much doc
Old 05-05-2014, 03:38 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Ok, good to know. Chances are my LFS will have one kind and one size so I think I will have to travel to find what I want.

Next question is skimmer. I think I have decided on a Vertex. Has anyone found anywhere that has super good prices on them or will give you a deal if you buy everything from them?(lights, skimmer, pumps etc)?
Contact concept aquariums they can help you out on all that ( I am biased though lol ) or pm me and I can do it.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I have a csc450 and not that nothing ever builds up but my skimmer is well oversized and nutrients are undetectable so I don't see the benefit to cleaning it? Skimmer really only pulls out so much doc
Mine is the older In-280. Since I combined my tanks into one sump (230g system), it is probably a little overworked. But it sure pulls out a lot of gunk every week, despite my pre-filtering with the sponge. So I think it is doing a pretty good job. My nutrients are kept very low as well, zero for nitrates and near zero for phosphates.