Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-15-2014, 12:32 AM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I use about 20 ml a week of MB7 in my 230g system (may be less than what Brightwell recommends). And I bought my last 2L bottle from J&L at their boxing day sale (15 0r 20% discount). I just checked, and still have about 1/2 left (keep it in the fridge). I started this bottle last Feb. So that means it costs me about $20 a year. For me, that is indeed cheap to stay cyano free, and all the other benefits that it provides.

And sorry for seeming to put down academic discussions. I find them very interesting too, and often learn something. But I also wanted to give my real experience with cyano problems I had in the past and how I conquered them. As I said, I have not had a single outbreak since I started using MB7. And a few times (not in the last year or more) when it tried to start up again, I just dosed MB7 heavily for a couple weeks, and it quickly disappeared. Interestingly that happened during a summer when I was away a lot and not able to dose MB7 regularly. While that may not be a scientific test, it was enough to convince me that it worked.

I am sure there may be other ways to lick cyano, but that is what worked for me.

So Im treating my stupid eggcrate for cyno. How does that happen? I dont have any until I sit all my frags on eggcrate?

Couple questions. Can cyno be transferred from other corals, frags, added?

Im ordering some MB7, as per the posts here. Would that mean my Prodibio is not used then. I assume its along the same lines.

Thanks
Old 01-15-2014, 12:57 AM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Well, there have certainly been enough discussions about cyano lately.... But not sure where it comes from, or if it can be transferred. Have never researched Prodibio, so can't speak to that.

Like I've said many times here, though, MB7 has worked for me, and no more outbreaks for 2+ years now. Before that I had huge problems with it, similar to many others here.

You do have to kill the cyano first with Chemiclean (MB7 is a preventative, and will not kill cyano), then go on the heavy MB7 dose for 2 weeks, followed by the regular low dose for another month or two, and if all looks good, you can cut that in half again. Also, contrary to the instructions, I never had to shut off my skimmer, even during the heavy dose period

If you see any signs of it coming back again, go back to the heavy dose for a week or so, and then back to the regular. I had to do that a couple times at the beginning (but I had a really high nutrient tank then). But have not had to do that for a couple years now.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:14 AM
Rest In Peace

Thanks. I added my chemiclean

I think the last time I had cyno was on my sand about 10yrs ago. There is absolutely no reason for it in my 30g, unless its a transfer thing.

I dont know how it just happens for no reason. Unless its related to the eggcrate where it growing. None on the rock. Of course its getting on all my frags, that I blow off several times a day.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:30 PM
Rest In Peace

Does it take all 48hrs.....24 hrs and mine still the same ?
Old 01-15-2014, 11:59 PM

wreck is on a distinguished road

I left mine 3 days . After 24 mine looked sinikar but after 48 it was virtually gonzo!!
Old 01-16-2014, 12:40 AM
Rest In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreck View Post
I left mine 3 days . After 24 mine looked sinikar but after 48 it was virtually gonzo!!

Ok thanks
Old 01-16-2014, 04:29 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

Yah I didn't notice much of a difference at 24 hours either. Some bits of it will continue to die for a couple of days after you do the water change too.

I did a second dose at the 48 hour mark (after a 20% water change), but chickened out after a day, so my second dose was really only 24 hours long. No lasting effect.

And yes, for some reason cyano seems to love growing on plastic. The first place in my tank it ever appeared was on the plastic covering of one of my overflow boxes, it climbed up it like a slow moving flame. Then later I couldn't keep it off my acrylic frag rack to save my life.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:48 AM
Rest In Peace

I have my water change ready. Hope I dont need a second but guess if I do, it needs doing.. I never had that much cyno, as siphoned most of it off before treating.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:11 AM

wreck is on a distinguished road

Well its been 4 months and im still cyano free. So far chemi clean has worked for me. Knock on wood
Old 02-27-2014, 12:56 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

I treated my tank starting Feb 6th and so far so good
No issues/losses etc