Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   cyano battle lol (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=102328)

wreck 11-13-2013 01:39 PM

cyano battle lol

i been battling cyano for a few months now, have had 2 fish die in my tank and was not able to nab them out. my nitrates are 15. phos is undetectable on seachem test kit.

what are your thoughts on chemi clean

coral snow and zeo bak. also zeo cyano clean( i beleive new product)

how do u keep your tanks cyano free??

chris

studsrsx 11-13-2013 02:47 PM

I have used the stuff before and it worked. This is only a temp solution though. You need to get your parameters in check first. Also I would guess you have phos in your tank even though your kit is not measuring it. Cyano is a bacteria so you need to find the cause otherwise it will return. I would recommend stepping up your water changes. Are you using di water also?

xenon 11-13-2013 03:10 PM

From my experience, cyano thrives when nitrates and phosphates are out of balance.

If you have zero phosphates and higher nitrates I'm not surprised that you have some cyano.

Chemiclean does work but once completed, I would work on getting those nitrates down and also work on getting the phosphates up a little.

A small amount of each is ideal.

kien 11-13-2013 03:14 PM

I too have used chemiclean with success, but ya, it will come back if you don't address the underlying issue(s). Chemiclean is a quick fix. A very very good quick fix though.

kien 11-13-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wreck (Post 858504)
i been battling cyano for a few months now, have had 2 fish die in my tank and was not able to nab them out. my nitrates are 15. phos is undetectable on seachem test kit.

what are your thoughts on chemi clean

coral snow and zeo bak. also zeo cyano clean( i beleive new product)

how do u keep your tanks cyano free??

chris

Also, I wouldn't necessarily blame cyano for the death of your fish. I would look for other causes.

The Guy 11-13-2013 03:20 PM

I don't like using Chemiclean, I find when you turn your skimmer back on it goes nuts and seems to take forever to settle back down.
I would rather find the source of the problem instead of a temporary fix. 0 tds if possible RO water, rowaphos reactor and keeping the nitrates in check and more water changes seems to do the trick for me. A little more work but hey it's a hobby!

AdamsB 11-13-2013 03:26 PM

I was hesitant to use it but it transformed my tank in 48 hours. Add a few large water changes and daily skimmer cup cleaning for optimum skimming and my tank is back to it's pretty self again.

3 months have passed and I'm back to my over feeding ways so I expect a return attack lol

wreck 11-13-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 858529)
Also, I wouldn't necessarily blame cyano for the death of your fish. I would look for other causes.

no it wasnt the cyano that killed the wrasse and diamond spotted goby. the wrasse didnt do well right from the start.

my setup is 65 g display with a 40 breeder sump. sump has roughly 20 g water. im running tlf reactor with fauna marin ultraphos. im also using filter socks as of yesterday.

for flow i have a tunze 6025 and a tunze 6045. and i threw in a hydor 750 aswell last night.

im running a spectrapure 90gpd rodi, 2 days ago changed the prefilter and carbon. will change the di tonight and the membrane is 1 year old.

trying to find a handheld tds meter, or an inline one as i dont have one

thanks fo the replies. i beleive the spike was caused by summertime neglect but who knows.

Rogue951 11-13-2013 04:10 PM

chemiclean to nuke everything then a couple bags of chemipure elite should bring everything down quickly and prevent it from coming back.
but as everyone said. stop gap measure till you find the source.

wreck 11-13-2013 04:23 PM

im goin to grab a thing of chemi clean today. thank everyone!! will post before and after photos