Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

View Poll Results: What power are you running your LED's at?
25% - 50% 9 20.45%
50% - 75% 13 29.55%
75% - 100% 19 43.18%
Some other Configuration explained in a post below 3 6.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2013, 02:51 PM

LoJack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Nothing wrong with any of those numbers. That's where my tank sits and I have to trim monthly.
Really ... maybe I should just leave well enough alone then

They seem low to me.

I typically shoot for:

ALK 8.5
CAL 440
Old 04-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Really ... maybe I should just leave well enough alone then

They seem low to me.

I typically shoot for:

ALK 8.5
CAL 440
No, alk is fine, and really, anything for Ca over 380 is good. My Ca hits a max of 420 ever. I don't even test for Mg. If your tanks sits at those numbers consistently, I'd leave it alone.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:55 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Nothing wrong with any of those numbers. That's where my tank sits and I have to trim monthly.
Ya, I was about to post the same thing. My Alk is a wee bit higher but my Ca is sitting around 380 or so.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:17 PM

BuschWacker is on a distinguished road

AI nano on a Nuvo 8. im running it at only 35%. mostly zoas. an Acan, and a poci. zoas love it, poci is always has good polyp extention. its only been in tank for few weeks. everything seems very happy and healthy.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:31 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

8 radions on a 275 gallon tank. I was running at 75% max intensity for a while and even that was bleaching some of my LPS on the sand bed, but I removed the worst affected corals to a pico tank not too long ago and tried bumping it up to 80%. Tanks is 85% acro and montipora. So far I haven't noticed a difference, though a couple zoa polyps that point straight up stopped opening up during the peak hour.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:12 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

11 AI sol at 90% White 100% actinic and royal blue for 5 hours plus sun raise and sun set.

Sps are loving the intensity but the Lps does suffer a bit when they are first introduced. I usually have to hide them under a rock or other colonies until they get used to it.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 04-23-2013, 08:18 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

I have 8 RB, 4 CW, 2 OCW and 4 TV over my 14G Biocube.

I run the LEDs at:

RB: 75%
CW: 45%
OCW: 80%
TV: 75%

I also run them from 8 am to 11:30 pm, with the light peaking between 10:30 and 5:30 pm. Whites and OCW are off by 7pm. RB and TV taper off slowly through the night. How long are you running your LEDs for? Maybe the LEDs just aren't on long enough?

The only filtration I am running in the LED Biocube tank is filter floss and a small bag of HC-GFO. I change 30% of the water weekly with water from my main tank. That's all it gets for maintainance. I am growing 5 acro colonies and 2 plating monti colonies, in addition to a few zoas. The montis are off to the sides in lower light areas. Believe it or not, the SPS in this little tank actually look better and are growing as fast as the colonies in my main tank (in fact the Red Planet in the little tank is out growing the RP in my big tank). I attribute this success to just having a stupid amount of light in a small tank.

Another thing to consider: What optics are you using? Maybe your light isn't penetrating enough?

In regards to the plating montis - I had a huge green cap colony that did well for the longest time but then began to struggle. I spent tons of time trying to fix whatever seemed to be causing the issue with it with little success. One day the tissue did this weird thing and turn sort of crispy, and then eventually died. A couple months later I got a new monti frag. It sat there for months, doing nothing... even began to struggle a bit. I explained this to a friend of mine who is a marine biologist and he looked up a few papers for me. He found that montis are more demanding for potassium than other SPS (I unfortunately don't have the links to the papers anymore to share then with you - I'l see if I can find them again); we tested my water and found it was almost depleted of potassium. I started dosing ZEOvit Potassium Iodide Fluoride Concentrate, BAM!, monti starts to take off and grow like mad. My potassium is now at normal levels with daily dosing. I'm not saying with certainty that this what caused the change but I didn't change anything else in my daily care of the tank in at least the past 8 months. I started dosing the potassium 2 months ago and it has only been within that time that the monti started to take off. Maybe look into that as a cause?