Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

View Poll Results: What power are you running your LED's at?
25% - 50% 9 20.45%
50% - 75% 13 29.55%
75% - 100% 19 43.18%
Some other Configuration explained in a post below 3 6.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2013, 01:59 PM

LoJack is on a distinguished road
Default What power is everyone running their LED's at?

This seems to be a hot button on many other forums ... but I wanted to see what everyone else is doing with their LED's.

It seems as though people with the best growth and coloration are running their LED's are running them at about 50% power.

This could explain why my Acro's do well ... but my plating Monti's are suffering.

I am currently running my LED's (RapidLED 72x3w) at about 70% and seem to be struggling.

What do you run yours at?
Old 04-23-2013, 02:16 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

180W of LED's on my 5' tank. 100% I need more light tho. I had a misshap with a driver and blew like 14 Cree's

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 04-23-2013, 02:17 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

I've also got a DIY fixture up and my plating Monti's are doing so well I'm having issues cleaning my glass because they grow so fast I can't get my mag cleaner by

I've also got a green birdsnest and a purple tipped acro that also seems to be doing well but a purple poccilipora that doesn't seem to like it at all.

That being said, because I'm running 4 separate channels they're all at different levels. My NW's are somewhere around 60%, RB's 50%-ish, OCW's 75% and TV's 50%
Old 04-23-2013, 02:18 PM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default led

my vertex illumina is run at -white- 50%,blue-65%,royal blue-75%.my vertex illumilux is at 100%.over my frag tank my no-name is run at75%.all my other tanks are run at 100%
Old 04-23-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
I've also got a DIY fixture up and my plating Monti's are doing so well I'm having issues cleaning my glass because they grow so fast I can't get my mag cleaner by

I've also got a green birdsnest and a purple tipped acro that also seems to be doing well but a purple poccilipora that doesn't seem to like it at all.

That being said, because I'm running 4 separate channels they're all at different levels. My NW's are somewhere around 60%, RB's 50%-ish, OCW's 75% and TV's 50%
Its funny to see this

I have an ORA Birds of Paradise that grows like a weed, but a green and pink birdsnest at the same level that haven't changed size in 6 months.

Plating Monti's do awful for me, yet my purple pocillipora grows like a weed.

I have a few acros that thrive, yet my purple bonsai is in neutral ... the world of reefing is such a confusing place
Old 04-23-2013, 02:24 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

My LEDs run at 60% seems to be perfect right there 70% is too high and 50% too low at 60% I seem to get best growth and colour from all my coral if light is too high I don't get full opening of coral and if light is too low I get full opening but little colour
Old 04-23-2013, 02:25 PM

However I did some testing this morning ... and there is more than just lighting at play here. I haven't played with my dosing pumps in a while, and apparently I'm starving my corals.

ALK - 7.5 dkh
CAL - 415ppm
MAG - 1400

Calcium and ALK are both a bit low ... I guess getting these in order is probably playing more of a factor than the lighting intensity to be honest.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
My LEDs run at 60% seems to be perfect right there 70% is too high and 50% too low at 60% I seem to get best growth and colour from all my coral if light is too high I don't get full opening of coral and if light is too low I get full opening but little colour
Mine seemed to be doing better at this level too ... I was trying to increase by 5% every week or two as everything acclimated ... but it seems as though I've hit my max. This week everything looks a little more pale in coloration.

I think its time to back off to about 60% again
Old 04-23-2013, 02:41 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

I run LED's on 3 tanks right now.

3 Radion Gen 2 - 90% - 19" deep tank. Mostly SPS, some SPS, and even a couple softies. SPS doing great. Hope to raise it to 100% soon.

3 Radion Gen 1 - 50% - 24" deep tank. LPS and softies. Seems to be plenty for these corals.

1 Radion Gen 1 - 20% - QT/frag tank.

I use the Natural Mode on all my lights, which follows the sun to a short rounded peak time as per above.

Last edited by Reef Pilot; 04-23-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
However I did some testing this morning ... and there is more than just lighting at play here. I haven't played with my dosing pumps in a while, and apparently I'm starving my corals.

ALK - 7.5 dkh
CAL - 415ppm
MAG - 1400

Calcium and ALK are both a bit low ... I guess getting these in order is probably playing more of a factor than the lighting intensity to be honest.
Nothing wrong with any of those numbers. That's where my tank sits and I have to trim monthly.