Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-10-2013, 07:46 PM

Ryan-b is on a distinguished road

My point is 1.5 years ago my DIY fixture was pretty decent. Today it still does the job, but is clearly lacking. They have come out with all sorts of LED colors/spectrums since.

I don't have the funds to be buying new **** every 6 months to a year because the technology has advanced, and what seemed good today, turns out to be lacking vital spectrums/colors/the list goes on, tomorrow. Its quite obvious,what was good 6-12 months ago have/has "flaws". So until the technology has stabalized I will hold off. I will stick to something that has been around longer then 4-5 years, while they smooth out the wrinkles.

Yes I realize fixtures don't expire, thanks for the heads up though. When said fixture turns out to be a dud in 6 months refer to the above paragraph.

You seem to have taken it personally when I asked about the Mitra.
I'm not sure why as I would love to have a couple over my tank, as you stated they have done there due diligence, and made probably the best unit to date.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:10 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I'm not talking anything personally but your logic puzzles me and I don't understand it. For example:
  1. I think your fixture looked the same 1.5 years ago than it does today. Same deal with the halides, they would have looked the same 1.5 years ago as well. So comparably speaking there is no difference from now and then so if you liked the LED fixture back then what changed?
  2. The concept of boycotting new technology based on the advancement of technology makes no sense. Kind of like saying don't buy a new car cause a new one will come out next year and ultimately be better...
  3. And finally you seem to have given up on you DIY led project prematurely. I kind of think one the advantages of DIY fixtures is the ability to grow with it. Rather than given up on it due to the lack of spectrum perhaps a better and cheaper solution would have been to simply add what you were missing. Like I mentioned earlier.

My comments were originally based on having a DIY fixture myself and starting off with the basics and adding to it until I was satisfied. I didn't suggest you buy a Mitra, didn't even mention it until it was brought up.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:53 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Annnnnnd back on track......

I run both LEDs and Metal halides (on separate tanks). I love them both. I've been a long time advocate of MH and always will be. They just have this warmth to them that make the tank feel alive.

I DIY'd my LEDs back in January and went balls out with the full spectrum (RB, CW, R, G, Turq, UV) and it is freakin' AWESOME. When I make frags of SPS from my halide tank and put it in the LED tank I'm always blown away at how amazing the LEDs make things look. And now that I have them dialed in for the colour balance I like, my MH days may be numbered. That said, I can't say the same for other fixtures out there. This LED build was an experiment because every other LED fixture out there looks like **** to me (GHL is the best of the bunch but still didn't sell me). I spent a lot of time figuring out ways to get rid of all the things I didn't like about commercial fixtures (the dim tank look and colour separation/ "disco-ing" being my biggest pet peeves).

I think it may be a while before any manufacturer steals me away from MH but I can build myself some damn sweet LEDs!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

i'd love to see a "balls out" spectral plot.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:40 PM

Kryptic4L is on a distinguished road

Why do I suddenly feel like I have entered a ford vs Chevy vs dodge conversation.

Everything is good, everything will do its job. And every company along with DIY has an upgrade path. There are ups and downs to every fixture.

As the standard bulbs are slowly becoming obsolete and the applications numerous for led lighting, everything is still moving at a fast pace. And we are paying premiums for research and delopment and supply and demand. As with everything in this world the one thing that might be worth waiting for is price drops.

Remember the days you couldn't find a large tv without a large price tag.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

iphones suck. Buy android...
Old 04-10-2013, 10:13 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

samsung sucks buy an iphone....

Steve, I will have to come over one day and look at your build. might be interesting.

Either way, tank looks great. keep up the good work!

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 04-10-2013, 10:33 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
i'd love to see a "balls out" spectral plot.