Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-11-2012, 04:30 PM

Psyire is on a distinguished road

Well I'm guessing that the clear silicone used on my tank wasn't ge-1200. It was built by a builder that had several large tanks fail that were built with clear silicone the same year. Needless to say he is no longer in business.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:44 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
DIRECT INSURANCE/MELLENIUM INSURANCE OUT OF SHERWOOD PARK ALBERTA. I HAVE BOTH MY CARS INSURED WITH THEM AS WELL!!
I was wondering about the insurance company itself, not the broker.

My insurance is with Intact. They have remarkably few exclusions on my coverage. I think I'll give my broker a call and bombard him with "what if . . . " questions.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:04 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
I was wondering about the insurance company itself, not the broker.

My insurance is with Intact. They have remarkably few exclusions on my coverage. I think I'll give my broker a call and bombard him with "what if . . . " questions.
You're covered under Intact just as Sphelps said, some repair $$, no livestock.

One of the huge things I went through before even pulling the trigger on our 1000g system was to go through all of our insurance very carefully. All in all you can get an additional policy for your tank, but no policy will ever cover livestock (unless you pay out the nose among other things).

The following companies were ok with tanks;
TD (horrific customer service though, and I was very hesitant with their poor training across representatives. I was frankly too afraid that they would fumble the paperwork on something significant and so I walked from them).
Intact - Not bad, covered under regular homeowners policy, or if additional coverage was sought through a rider. Would have stayed with them, but got the same deal at a cheaper price elsewhere. I hear that starting this year though there is something relating to the rebuild value of your house (if its older) that may not make Intact your profered provider.
SGI - I was able to get what I needed covered under homeowners insurance, didn't need an extra or secondary policy. They asked practically no questions, just wanted to know where the tank was located (main floor, basement, etc.)

Not ok:
Wawanesa - I found just asking questions about potential policies to be extremely invasive. They also tried to tell me they couldn't talk to me about insurance until I'd provided them a driving abstract...yet I was calling to discuss house insurance.

Awesome:
Find a good broker and book an hour in with them if you feel they "don't understand" over the phone. Its worth the piece of mind.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:13 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

I checked with my insurance broker a while ago as well. My house insurance is with Intact. No livestock coverage as Michika stated, but water damage is. The tank itself would be covered if it was impacted, not covered if it just let go. I made sure I didn't need additional coverage, it was not required.