Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I really try to buy local but as everyone else in the Okanagan knows, that's an expensive process. Using a local LFS keeps options open to me when I'm in a panic but paying $89-$99 for a bucket of IO salt is too painful so I end up stopping in a J&L a couple times per year.

Many of our LFS are under the same pressures that book stores have been under since the inception of amazon.com Bricks and Morter locations have different costs and I understand that the convenience of that has a cost to me. I hope that more of them look to move part of their business to the web so that they can off-set some of their fixed costs with a few more sales.

Sadly, the bigger problem with the LFS is that they have stayed in the traditional rut of carrying only the big suppliers like Hagen, Coralife or Marineland. Sadly, the quality of those companies goods are sad or worse.

The bright spot for me is that I've convinced my local LFS to join me at MACNA this year so he can see what advances there have been in the industry. Even though this is their profession, I think the store owner is in for a big surprise.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:42 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

no longer buy from US, now we have Concept Aquatics :-), price is very competitive (very close to J&L) and excellent service
Old 04-27-2012, 01:37 AM
Vendor

Reef Supplies is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleus View Post
no longer buy from US, now we have Concept Aquatics :-), price is very competitive (very close to J&L) and excellent service
and don't forget, Dave is a nice guy :-)

http://www.reefsupplies.ca
Old 04-27-2012, 02:20 AM

saltfreak2012 is on a distinguished road

I am another "bad guy" who buys from the US 100%. The local pet store in Regina is not even an option as he gouges people with his prices so it leaves me no choice but to order online. The prices I get from a US online vendor after his discount can't be beat by any place in Canada. No tax or no brokerage fees everytime also when items are shipped USPS Priority Post. It is an expensive hobby so why pay more $$ buying in Canada?
Old 04-27-2012, 03:44 AM

Megalodon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Megalodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltfreak2012 View Post
I am another "bad guy" who buys from the US 100%. The local pet store in Regina is not even an option as he gouges people with his prices so it leaves me no choice but to order online. The prices I get from a US online vendor after his discount can't be beat by any place in Canada. No tax or no brokerage fees everytime also when items are shipped USPS Priority Post. It is an expensive hobby so why pay more $$ buying in Canada?
I fail to see how you're getting away with not paying taxes. Care to share? Legally?
Old 04-27-2012, 03:54 AM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltfreak2012 View Post
Just fell through the cracks, at the very least you must pay GST, & duties on anything entering into Canada. You have just been lucky not paying these fees. Some companies will include them already in their prices also.

Main issues are warranty, like in Echotech, if it is purchased in the USA, the warranty only applies in the USA, we can't help you. If it is sold from a Canadian distributor, and Canadian reseller can waranty it.

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 04-27-2012, 02:56 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Supplies View Post
Have to disagree.

Yes, we get the occasional client locking to save 5 bucks BUT most of the time we are talking about 10-15-20% differences in price for the same products. If my client can save 10-15% elsewhere, he should take it...he is a fool if he does not.
well said. I like seeing retailers who are also concerned about the money that stays in the consumers pocket. its to bad there not more common.

I will admit I always look at a few US places that cost very little in shipping and no brokerage charges and see which way is cheaper. after spending way to much money supporting local stores (ie. getting ripped off) it didn't take long for me to see how much I could save else where. and if I can save 5% when everything is said and done I will. when you look at the 10K+ I spent on my first tank 5% is a fair bit of money. what I find is that people tend to look at cost on a per purchase basis instead of a whole project basis.

As for our rising dollar that just makes the US stuff that much cheaper. it is very rare now days that a Canadian company passes on there savings because of a higher Cdn buck. I know 5 years ago, last time our buck was high, some retailers passed it on. an eg was a Harley got about 5K cheaper, but this time no deals are to be had anywhere. I think it is due to the uncertainty of the economy.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
I fail to see how you're getting away with not paying taxes. Care to share? Legally?
Yes legally. The only way I pay taxes is if I use UPS who I refuse to use now.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWorldAquatic View Post
Just fell through the cracks, at the very least you must pay GST, & duties on anything entering into Canada. You have just been lucky not paying these fees. Some companies will include them already in their prices also.

Main issues are warranty, like in Echotech, if it is purchased in the USA, the warranty only applies in the USA, we can't help you. If it is sold from a Canadian distributor, and Canadian reseller can waranty it.
I have had no problems whatsoever with any warranty work and a friend recently had his US purchased MP-10 replaced under warranty. One purchase exception is salt which I buy Instant Ocean at Petsmart for a really decent price.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:35 PM

Realshow is on a distinguished road

The cash that can be saved buying from the US can substantial.
However you do need to do your homework . I used to live in Richmond & the savings were quite often worth it to shop on the other side of the border.
the gas groceries & of course BEER!
I have since moved to kamloops & they absolutely hose you on everything here.
There are great savings just driving to Kelowna or back to Vancouver but it is a hassle & a couple of hrs driving.
So if im going to order it in from vancouver or wherever anyways. It only makes sense to get the best overall price despite where it comes from.