Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 01-31-2012, 04:25 AM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9 View Post
Yeah, I thought I saw a program on TV that said in nature clownfish typically live in social groups in their anemones. A large female and a smaller male which is the dominant pair and then a number of decreasingly smaller males. I wonder if this is ever imitated in an aquarium environment?

Correct except the smaller fish are not males nor females they are "adolescents" waiting for one of the pair to die and take place of the male.

In the ocean there is a huge amount of room for the smaller clowns to swim away vs in our aquarium. Not to mention 10 adolescent clowns in the wild vs 1 or 2 in our tanks.

Another cool fact; studies have shown in areas where clown fish hosting anemones live without a hosting clown pair the anemones get eaten and the other way around. Those small little clowns help protect the anemone and the anemone returns the favor.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:44 AM

lee9 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to lee9

[quote=Ryan;677340]Correct except the smaller fish are not males nor females they are "adolescents" waiting for one of the pair to die and take place of the male.

I thought they were all born as males and then change to females if the conditions are right. Most of the articles I have read have stated this. Although they have been just Internet sources though so I'm not sure how accurate they are.

Either way they are interesting little fish that's for sure.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:47 AM

I guess you could think of it like that but in the Joyce D. Wilkerson book its stated that clowns are born with both sexual organs but they are not fully developed until they fish sort out who is male or female and who stays adolescent.

Who knows whos right. I have never actually cut one open to see.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:22 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Everything I've heard for years tells me that they are all born "genderless" then the largest one develops into a female and the second biggest turns into a male. If the female dies, the male turns into a female and the next largest one develops into a male. If the male dies, the next largest develops into a male and the female stays the same. I've had this happen in my tanks before so I have personally witnessed these types of gender transformations.

Right now, in the cube tank, the two largest have bred and adopted the RBTA (although they have a third roommate). The other four or five small Ocellaris stay away from the mated pair and live on the other end of the cube tank.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:48 AM

Acipenser is on a distinguished road

Yeah i think it was a mistake on my part to introduce this other clown at this stage, It's a Clarkii and from what Iv'e read are a little anal to tank mates - so Iv'e pulled the 2 smaller ones out. I guess one would need to start from scratch with 5 or 6 juveniles .
Old 01-31-2012, 01:11 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I "had" 2 ocellaris and 2 clarkii in my 180, it didn't end well. I'd stick to the pair...
Old 01-31-2012, 01:26 PM

Clarkii clowns are probably the most tolerant of other clown, they just have to be from the clarkii complex. Clarkiis will pair off with a other clowns that arent even clarkiis. Such as clarkii x and 2 band are pretty commOn.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:00 PM

Gripenfelter is on a distinguished road

I'm hoping mine will be ok together. I have 2 yr old false perc clowns and 6 month old Ocellaris.

The Ocellaris are not hosting anemones though...weird.

Haven't added the false percs to the tank yet.

314 gallon Drop Off Reef tank. 150 gallon sump. Bean Animal Overflow. Various Tangs, Angels, Triggers, Inverts, Corals, etc.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80379
Old 01-31-2012, 03:56 PM

MMAX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripenfelter View Post
I'm hoping mine will be ok together. I have 2 yr old false perc clowns and 6 month old Ocellaris.

The Ocellaris are not hosting anemones though...weird.

Haven't added the false percs to the tank yet.
Not totally weird, some do and some don't. I have had a big momma ocellaris for about 4 years that has never hosted anything. Over the years she's had 3 different husbands, 2 of which hosted and 1 that didn't.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:10 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

Good luck to everyone trying to keep more than 2 clowns in the same tank. I ignored everyone`s reasoning before too and just did it because I wanted to. It may work, for a while, as it has for others. Clownfish live for 25 to 30 years, so 6 months to a year living together is nothing. When you are having to try to save a clownfish when the dominant pair start kicking the crap out of the weaker clownfish, you will realize what a mistake it is. In a huge system, I have heard of a few people being able to keep 2 pairs, sometimes.

I tried baby`s all born and raised together as well, and they all died due to getting sick from the extreme stress of what I put them through. It was my saddest day in this hobby seeing clownfish die due to my own stupidity and ignorance.

If you want to see how well multiple clownfish live together, go to West Edmonton Mall and check out their clownfish tank. I watched it for about 15 minutes and it was constant fighting and bickering. Big Al`s in Edmonton used to have 4 clowns together in a tank for a about a year. There are 2 in the tank now.

If you are trying to mix different types of clowns, good luck. It can be done, but most of the time the dominant clownfish kills the other one if it isn`t done correctly.

My rant is done. Each person will do as they please, as I did. Just know what you are getting into.

Last edited by ponokareefer; 01-31-2012 at 04:16 PM.