Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Marine Fish (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Clown fish questions (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82608)

Acipenser 01-31-2012 12:13 AM

Clown fish questions

I had a pair of clowns that I got when they were tiny one was about 40% larger than the other, I am guessing the female. I just got a 3rd clown much larger than the other two at least twice as big as the female in my tank . how long before the old female switches back to male and what happens with the smallest male ? Is this a going to happen for sure or is there a chance of the bonded pair to stay bonded ?

Clown fish police move along !

MMAX 01-31-2012 12:23 AM

All tank bred clowns start off as males. I'm not 100% sure but once they switch to females I don't think they can switch back to males again.

Acipenser 01-31-2012 12:29 AM

Ok then i guess I may need to add 1 more small clown and hope they pair off I guess Ill need to start an other tank.

Ryan 01-31-2012 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMAX (Post 677203)
All tank bred clowns start off as males. I'm not 100% sure but once they switch to females I don't think they can switch back to males again.

Actually they start off as neither sex. The most dominant becomes female and the 2nd becomes male.

If the female dies the male becomes female but once a female they cannot turn male. Only forward not back.

ponokareefer 01-31-2012 03:13 AM

You should only keep 2 clowns in one tank. Any more than that and eventually the dominant pair will kill off the other clownfish.

Acipenser 01-31-2012 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponokareefer (Post 677301)
You should only keep 2 clowns in one tank. Any more than that and eventually the dominant pair will kill off the other clownfish.

I have seen multiple clowns kept together successfully !

reefwars 01-31-2012 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acipenser (Post 677329)

3 is a bad number for clownfish they almost always kill off the third or stress him out bad.the bigger the tank and hiding the better the chances.

Ryan 01-31-2012 04:17 AM

I agree with reefwars although if you must attempt 3 A. ocellaris are probably your best bet.

True Perculas are notorious for having 3 then all of a sudden the female kills the adolescent (3rd clown) in preperation for breeding.

A. ocellaris pairs will almost treat the 3rd as a nurse allowing it to help tend/gaurd the nest. Some pairs wont let the 3rd join in.

I know a breeding trio up for sale right now where the little guy is accepted by the breeding pair if anyone is looking.

reefwars 01-31-2012 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan (Post 677336)
I agre with reefwars although if you must attempt 3 A. ocellaris are probably your best bet.

True Perculas are notorious for having 3 then all of a sudden the female kills the adolescent (3rd clown) in preperation for breeding.

A. ocellaris pairs will almost treat the 3rd as a nurse allowing it to help tend/gaurd the nest. Some pairs wont let the 3rd join in.

I know a breeding trio up for sale right now where the little guy is accepted by the breeding pair if anyone is looking.

a breeding trio thats prety cool trusting female for sure:)

lee9 01-31-2012 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acipenser (Post 677329)

Yeah, I thought I saw a program on TV that said in nature clownfish typically live in social groups in their anemones. A large female and a smaller male which is the dominant pair and then a number of decreasingly smaller males. I wonder if this is ever imitated in an aquarium environment?