Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 11:32 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
Geez. Ken and Marko.

Maybe take this PM. Almost getting a little much.

Ken as a retailer, best not to make yourself look too confrontational. Blogs can be easy to misinterpret. And this one is going that way fast.
pm doesnt increase post count
Old 12-28-2011, 11:35 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoD View Post
pm doesnt increase post count
Ha ha ha !

One more. Lol.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:40 AM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

here is my 2 cents on the matter. if a store is losing money or making money due to a boxing day sale, or any sale, is really none of our buisness. thats the accountants problem not ours. to me a deal is a deal. if im able to save some money on one thing to buy more stuff im all for it. and in the end im thankfull to the company i purchase said sale item from for givingme the oportunity to save some cash. whether its a once a year thing or off and on in the year. in the end those few bucks i saved may help towards a cool controller or new skimmer. and i guarontee. the place that treated me with the most respect. will get me back there again. sale or no sale.

its a hobby/obsession/addiction...i have reefer ocd and its a problem im going to have to live with for the rest of my life. hell i didnt buy any rum for over chistmas/new years causse i could usethe money towards somethingfish related lol.

so i say who cares what the lfs/retailers financials are or methods for taking our money...enjoy it spend it..you cant take it ith you and your kids really dont need an inheritance anyways. lol

ps: i wanted another notch in my post count too

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 12-29-2011, 01:09 AM

zulu_principle is on a distinguished road

You guys have figured out the secret.....

Its a license to print money.....right Ken.

MarkoD.... your awesome we should be partners....feed and keep the water nice and clean and you can keep everything alive, including achilles tangs...your the king.

Boxing Day is a sales day....we discount to get volume both online and in the store...Do we lose money...on sales over COGS, no but come on, think of your power bill...and think of how much water we have...

With live inventory this is an extremely difficult industry....and an even more difficult business model when everything i have has a unique sku.

All retailers value customers please come to our store soon.

Merry christmas and Happy New Year to All....

Wendell
Old 12-29-2011, 01:14 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Can't make some people happy. Take advantage of what deals you want to and start your own lfs if you can do better.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:15 AM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu_principle View Post

MarkoD.... your awesome we should be partners....feed and keep the water nice and clean and you can keep everything alive, including achilles tangs...your the king.

Boxing Day is a sales day....we discount to get volume both online and in the store...Do we lose money...on sales over COGS, no but come on, think of your power bill...and think of how much water we have...

With live inventory this is an extremely difficult industry....and an even more difficult business model when everything i have has a unique sku.

Wendell

Don't all retailers use separate skus on products?

That seems like an everyday practice for any retailer.

Good post though asides from my above thought.

I can see your side. Tanks galore.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:19 AM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu_principle View Post

Wendell
No sir, you're* awesome and you're* the king

The comparison was electronics store and a fish store. My point was that electronics can't sit on the shelf either.

But this has gone so off track, I can't even remember the original reason for this argument.

Last edited by MarkoD; 12-29-2011 at 01:22 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:21 AM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Can't make some people happy. Take advantage of what deals you want to and start your own lfs if you can do better.
+1

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 12-29-2011, 01:25 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Alright, here's my two cents...

I used to be a distributor for snowboards and wakeboards. If you own either of these products, it probably passed through my hands. I also had my own shop which I sold out of, so I know how pricing works at both ends.

I can't speak for LFS mark ups as they have very high losses (imagine if that goldflake angel you just ordered in kicked the bucket...) and they different business models but, in my industry, every time a product changes hands it doubles in price. If I bought a board from the factory for $100, I'd sell it to a shop for $200 and they'd sell it for $400. This is rough numbers but gives you an idea. Some products, especially the small one people buy a lot of (like skateboard wheels and bearings) have much higher mark ups.

For boxing day I'd get pretty good deals from the factories, which I'd pass on to the dealers. The factories want to clear out stock for the next model year and, since no one is buying wakeboards in the dead of winter, I was also generous on my pricing. So the shops do see savings for this reason.

There is also the whole thing of selling in bulk. Though I was selling m product for less, there are so many people buying on boxing day that I would make up for it through volume. Boxing day for my shop was often more profitable than the entire preceding holiday season and I'd make enough money to make-up for the sales doldrums that follow Christmas.

So, it really depends. Most shops aren't going to be losing money but they don't necessarily make as much on each product they sell, but they make up for it through volume.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:34 AM

reefme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Alright, here's my two cents...

So, it really depends. Most shops aren't going to be losing money but they don't necessarily make as much on each product they sell, but they make up for it through volume.
+1 That is what I am trying to say.