Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Edmonton

Old 08-31-2011, 07:21 PM

doch is on a distinguished road

As mentioned before, the store in question does have a full bank of tanks that they put the fish in for 2 weeks prior to being put up for sale. I could be wrong, but I believe that they will sell you the fish in quarantine, but at your own risk (no warranty). Yes, sometimes the prices are high, BUT, you are paying for the quarantine process, the lost fish in quarantine, and a stronger chance of that fish surviving when you get it home. In my opinion, all 4 of the stores in Edmonton have high quality fish... but this quarantine does give peace of mind. Is it worth it? Your call. I shop at all 4 of the stores. They all have their advantages and disadvantages.

As for the membership fee at AI, I'm pretty sure that they give you a discount on stuff if you are a memeber, so if you're like me and spend lots of money on this hobby, it can easily for itself... AND you get the waranty.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 08-31-2011, 07:25 PM

Mechaninano is on a distinguished road

Yeah they do give a discount, I've paid for my membership with the savings from my led's that I bought. I think it's worth it, but I still shop at the other stores too. I've gotten great service at all the stores in Edmonton, but I still do my own research before making a purchase just to be safe.

25 gallon "nano"

90 gallon startup

5 gallon nano
Old 08-31-2011, 10:47 PM

Felix is on a distinguished road

Too be brutally honest I have been to the "Membership" LFS a few times but they have one guy there who is so obnoxious that its not worth the trip from the Park. too be honest i think thinks its great customer service but he just annoying and if your just looking its like your breathing my air and I'd like you to leave!!

IMHO Red coral and blue world are friendlier I have been to both a number of times and not bought but everything in my aquarium comes from these two stores. They have good fish and more importantly will not sell a newbie fish that will not do well in your set up. I know this from personal experiance, I wanted a yellow tang in a RSM130 and both said NO it won't do well long term its too small an aquarium.

As to the warranty of fish, i would have thought that every LFS had an elaborate quarrantine process to ensure the quality of their stock, but they are delicate fish and anything can kill them, its why certain species should not be in the home aquarium.

Sorry to read about your loss but on the bright side there is a Reefer meeting on 25th Sept please come I cordially invite you.

Felix
Old 08-31-2011, 10:50 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy20012002 View Post
I am truly surprised that the store bashing has been allowed to this point.

Neal
Neal, I hope this thread doesn't come across as store bashing, I haven't interpreted it as such. I think the OP had an unreal expectation being new to the hobby, and that's been conveyed by many responses.

We've all heard good and bad about every LFS in existence, it goes with the territory.
In this case, I don't think that the store discussed has done anything questionable or under handed, and if they want to offer a membership with additional benefits, I see that as a value-added feature. Good on them.

Sometimes stores charge more than other stores for the same fish, but keep in mind, each fish is individual, as is the treatment they get once received.
I've bought 4 PB Tangs in my time of reef keeping. The last one was 50% more than I've ever paid. It's also the only one that's survived and is thriving in my tank. Partially a coincidence, I'm sure, but the store held it in QT for me close to 2 months. That costs money, and I can't expect them to eat that cost.
Overall, I think this thread is of a civil tone, and the store in question should be happy with the exposure.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:58 AM

mexxedm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1fj40 View Post
So I just learned something the hard way and I wanted to share my experience with other fellow newbie's so they don't make the same mistake as me!!

I found out the hard way, that a local store doesn't have a warranty on live stock UNLESS you have purchased a membership card. I heard a lot of good things about this store so I went in to check it out, I was excited to see the quality and service difference. It was a nice people were helpful.

When I purchased the fish they asked if I had shopped there before, I said no and they said are you going to be coming back?, I said absolutely, so they created a record of me in the computer. I paid and then left.

I did the typical process I have been doing for 2 years, drip accumulating and the fish were doing great, it seemed great the next 2 days and was feeding, on the 3rd day I found it dead. I called the store to see if they would like me to bring the body in when I come in to get a refund. They said yes and a sample of water. No problem, my water is always pristine. So I was like OK cool, how long is your return policy BTW? He was like are you a member? I said I am unsure if I am but you guys put my info into your computer. Laughs and attitude starts....we don't warranty unless you are a MEMBER, I was like OK well I am in the computer and...NO..you need to PURCHASE a membership to get any warranty at all. I was surprised and I told him I was never told about this even at purchase...the guy then says well duh you cant miss it, there is a big freakin sign behind the till. No warranty. I am very busy and have lots of customers waiting, BYE! And the dude hung up!! I was floored, not only didn't I know but I wasn't even arguing I just stated this was a surprise!!

SO I am out 40 bucks on a nice fish I was excited to have and I am disappointed in the store for not being upfront about policy (not even written on the receipt) and what sucks is because of the attitude I received I won't be going back.

So I guess lesson learned, always make sure you know what the policy is...this really sucks as I have had great service from the local stores and they have all been helpful and really nice to deal with until now.

If anyone wants to know the store PM me as it is a site sponsor and I will not post the name.
I know exactly what store lt1fj40 talk about. OK, I'll be quick:
1. Sign display "Members get 7 days SW guarantee" which does not say how you can become a member. I was luck enough to ask how I can become a member. $10/year. I was then given a membership info stated "7 days guarantee on SW fish and coral". On the membership info does not say anything that I have to store the dead product in a what size of container, make sure I put the product in the water and bring sample water back.
2. My corals dead three days after. I brought back. With ******* attitude, the manager yelled at me that the corals were still alive how come I ddin't put any water in there. He immediately threw water in my container and said they were still alive. "Bring them home!" I did not think so because my corals had thicken glue stuff around it. It must be dead. Another employee named Chris said there was no guarantee on coral. I then took out the membership info and show them then they shut up. The manager made two conflict statements. First, your corals are still alive. After arguments, he made the second statement "Polyp might be dieing but the flower pot is not". The manager also added a statement "We can't exchange it because what if your friend puts bleach in your tank and it destroys the corals." I had four corals in my take and only two of them die. They did not honor their guarantee after I spend money to become the membership. I demanded to talk to the owner. They owner indicated that there was no guarantee on coral. I had to pull out the membership info once again. Come on, an owner does not even know the store rules? They also owner said the same thing "They are still alive." I said "OK, I will take your words and I will never come back to this store ever again. I will post to Canreef along with my dead corals photos so members in the forum can judge if they are still alive or not." The manager totally had different attitude, a nicer one. I then said "I am here just to exchange not to get my money back!" He then agreed to let me exchange if I brought my sample water and if the water was fine. Of course, 25 mins to drive home and 25 to drive back in traffic. My water was fine. They agreed to exchange it.
Conclusion, I would not be ****ed off if they did not say they had guarantee. I would not be ****ed off if the employee and owner were nicer. I am on the Westend and very closed by this store. However, I am no longer return to this store because of their attitudes. I think lt1fj40 got the manager of the store on the phone whom has funny attitude: talking for one sentence, walking away and ignore customer. I would not say what the store name but... to be warned: this store has green chalkboard behind the checkout counter.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:36 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

wow see I would have punched him right in the face and dragged him out side and lord know what. I know of only one person who got away from yelling at me and that was my MOM.