Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-17-2011, 05:34 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I guess when I speak it's from a SPS point of view. With a LPS tank, or soft corals, I might be less inclined to change as much for corals, although the fish would still have to be considered. I guess my philosophy is to keep it as close to natural as I can, given the small space. I just know that when I'm swimming down in the tropics, I don't mind getting a mouthful of water, but I sure wouldn't want tank water touching my lips I've pulled fish out of the ocean for my selfish enjoyment, I feel the least I can do is keep the water as clean as possible.

Now sure, it can be done. Steve will pop in here shortly and tell us how he ran his tank for over a year without changing water, and his corals had some color. But....is this optimal for all the creatures in the water? Or is it sufficient to meet our particular requirements (color, growth, whatever it is we each want from the tank). I would guess the later. A tank can and often will be successful, within the measurements of our individual requirements for success, without water changes. Will it get worse by changing water? I don't think it would. Would the fish be healthier/happier with water changes? I suspect so..

another good point...the fishies..... i do want whats best for them and having a small tank means they are forced to breathe the same water more frequent........so i may have to re think for their sakes as i agree with your point that if were gonna box em up might as well give them the best we can
Old 07-17-2011, 06:09 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

10% every other week.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:52 PM

CoralineCori is on a distinguished road

We do 10-15% weekly water changes. It is necessary in order to keep our nitrates at a normal level, and all other params perfect and consistent. We always use r/o water and add fresh treated water when we have evaporation, so that helps too as we usually have to add water every other day. All of our corals are doing very well with this as well as fish and we have not had anything die (yet *crossing fingers*). You are very brave reefwars...not sure I would want to take a chance on leaving the tank go myself. Isn't water changes and stuff all part of the hobby really? I would be scared of a spike or algae infestation, phosphates or extremely high nitrates. Just sayin
Old 07-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Used to do 10g every week on my 110g system. After doing a large 45g change the other day to reduce nutrients and whatever I can't measure I was impressed how colors and growth picked up. I'm now doing 15g every week.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:12 PM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

Most people seem to address the water change issue from a nutrient point of view. Nutrients can be filtered out, there are many ways to do it with good equipment and media. There was an article in Coral magazine a while back asking the question "are water changes necessary" and it was concluded that normal water changes have a minimal impact on nitrates. I think the biggest challenge would be how to restore the depleted trace elements. The big three (calc, alk, and mag) are no problem but we all know there are a great deal of other elements that are essential, difficult/impossible to dose, and only seem to come from a fresh batch of reef salt. It sure would be nice to have a way of running an SPS tank without water changes but I think we're a long way from it right now.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:15 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Agreed. I don't personally change water to dilute nutrients, my NO3 and PO4 are undetectable. It's more "the breath of fresh air", but with water, that I'm trying to provide. With it, replace some of the depleted things I probably don't even know are in the water.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:17 AM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

i think the only people that dont do water changes are those that carbon dose or those who have deep sand bed
Old 07-18-2011, 01:54 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Yeah I just mentioned nutrients since it sounded good. I don't know why my tank looks better with more water changes but it does and that's all the science I need to choose to do even moar.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:02 AM

nlreefguy is on a distinguished road

wow, really? I wasn't aware of anyone locally who was doing anything even remotely like that! I'd like to meet this guy and/or see his tank! (or girl, right? What a chauvinistic remark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
was at a friends house yesterday and he has a 60g full blown reef mostly sps, no skimmer no zeo nothing fancy as its not available here uses tap water and not a water change in over a year,everything in his tank is about to grow out the top,not many fish though....im baffled really as ive always been 10% weekly faithfully....some people have all the luck i tell ya lol i also know someone else here who has a 300g runs a skimmer and doses but no water changes since set up....got me thinking for sure
Old 07-18-2011, 02:04 AM

nlreefguy is on a distinguished road

Yeah, same here. I don't do them often enough but doing a water change has a visible benefit to my corals. I assume I'm replacing something that I didn't even know was there. My nutrients are all undetectable too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Agreed. I don't personally change water to dilute nutrients, my NO3 and PO4 are undetectable. It's more "the breath of fresh air", but with water, that I'm trying to provide. With it, replace some of the depleted things I probably don't even know are in the water.