Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 06-17-2011, 01:05 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

In my view we have a think veneer of civilization, you do not have to dig very deep to find barbaric behaviour.

The best way to avoid a repeat of this is to aggressively go after the scum with video evidence, prosecution, and civil suits for damages. Post rewards for people to I.D. the filth that did this. Publicize the scumbags names and photos after they are found guilty.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 06-17-2011, 02:16 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Fork View Post
You don't have to intervene, but standing and cheering the morons on is just throwing fuel on the fire. Anyone with decency should have left or be actively providing assistance to the police. Anyone identified in the mob should be presented with a bill for the clean-up. If only one person is identified, bill em for the whole thing... I bet that would start getting names produced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap View Post
In my view we have a think veneer of civilization, you do not have to dig very deep to find barbaric behaviour.

The best way to avoid a repeat of this is to aggressively go after the scum with video evidence, prosecution, and civil suits for damages. Post rewards for people to I.D. the filth that did this. Publicize the scumbags names and photos after they are found guilty.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:48 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Ya, this is pretty brutal. I have to echo what was said earlier: the people who were rioting we not from Vancouver and they came prepared to riot. They were not hockey fans. It was premeditated (who brings a riot mask to a f-ing hockey game?) and they were instigating others... Then the rest of the idiots were just standing there taking pictures so that they can show their friends and look cool.

My girlfriend and I had to go through downtown last night to check on her home and business to make sure they were OK as the neighbors on both sides had their windows smashed and the parkade next door was set on fire. It was bizarre. Vancouver felt like a war zone. I have seen that in Bangkok and Cambodia, but my own home? Really? And the worst part was that there were people showing up for the "festivities" from Surrey and other out lying areas (they were showing up at 9pm or later, no Canucks jerseys, ready to fight). I started telling people to go home and they started threatening us. These people didn't even watch the game.

The city is less disappointed by the loss of the game than we are about this crap. I am particularly disappointed to come on here and find people saying "this is exactly the reason why I couldn't bring myself to cheer for Van". Really? You knew about this riot before hand? You hate Vancouver because of it's fans? (when the Bruins fans were cheering 'Canucks Suck' during the Boston games... Classy).

This was not a hockey riot, they used the game as an excuse. People need to pull their heads put of their butts and get off the high horse and see that this is not representative of the city or of hockey. Trash talk the rioters, not the city or the Canucks.
your right.....there must be a band of traveling rioters that go from city to city, to sporting events looking to incite a riot.....their work is well documented http://www.highestfive.com/fitness/t...-hockey-riots/ .......funny how they missed Calgary in 2004 when they had a whole month of every other day partying on the streets by 50,000 people that they could have taken advantage of.......who are you kidding, besides yourself?.....I know its just a small percentage of fans that were involved in the crap, but that fact remains that certain cities have had a history for this kind of BS and it irritates me when it happens again......it gives a black eye to the sport of hockey and to Canada as whole......
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 06-17-2011, 03:24 AM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

Not so much a band of travelling rioters, but from out in the valley there's many that went downtown just to cause a ruccus. It's a shame that a bunch of drunken high-school/college kids caused this much drama.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:41 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap View Post
waste of time and effort charging the rioters, just sue them for damages
Old 06-17-2011, 06:11 AM

silentcivilian is on a distinguished road

By the way I want to say way to go facebook. Guy lighting the police car on fire. His name is Nathan Kotylak, and he was ratted out by his ex girlfriend when she saw the picture and arrested already.

Awesome!
Old 06-17-2011, 06:44 AM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentcivilian View Post
By the way I want to say way to go facebook. Guy lighting the police car on fire. His name is Nathan Kotylak, and he was ratted out by his ex girlfriend when she saw the picture and arrested already.

Awesome!
I saw that too, stupid kid had a scholarship to U of C and a shot at the olympic water polo team. What a dumb way to flush all that down the drain. That's providing it was actually him and not just someone who looked like him.

Last edited by Slick Fork; 06-17-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:55 PM

MMAX is on a distinguished road

I was listinging to some show on sports talk radio last night. Apparently this riot would have happened win or lose. Some organized group, the same ones who protested the Olympics were said to be responsible. They dressed in Canuk jerseys and some were seen carrying backpacks full of molotov cocktails, goggles and masks. These douches started it and all the drunks with no common sense joined in. Thanks to all the hi-tech cameras out there that everyone seems to own, the Vancouver Province newspaper is going to be publishing photos of everyone involved in the criminal activity. That, along with all the morons who went on facebook and bragged about it, will eventually bring these *ssholes down.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:24 PM

Jamieh is on a distinguished road

Just back in Saskatoon from an eventful trip to Vancouver. I was walking out of arena just as some guy fell over the side of a walkway for about a 30 ft drop. It sounded like 2cars colliding when he hit the ground. I then had to walk through the war zone to get to my hotel. What a scary nightmare that was. After passing the zone around me heading away from disaster were lots of small groups of middle aged people trying to get away from the chaos, yet we were continuosly meeting small groups of young loud people heading into the fray. They were loud and drunk. The van loads of riot police heading in and the mess all around me made methink I was in the middle east somewhere and not a Canadian city???
Old 06-17-2011, 02:10 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamieh View Post
They were loud and drunk. The van loads of riot police heading in and the mess all around me made methink I was in the middle east somewhere and not a Canadian city???
Hard to believe these days how utterly dumb these folks are thinking they won't be identified for their deeds, with all the cameras & internet publicity. As far as the Middle East, you may be better off there, since those riots are people fighting for what we already have, freedom. It's been a long time since we gained that freedom or defended it in a major conflict (although some of our young folks are risking their lives in Afghanistan for Afghanistan). There's a sense of entitlement, both in our government and clearly in the minds of those that turn sporting events into disasters.

It's not just hockey, many professional sports in other democratic countries (soccer hooliganism) spawn this kind of behaviour. One reason I've become somewhat disenchanted with the whole pro sports culture. Not the fault of the teams or organizations but then again, we seem to feed off the behaviour of certain overpaid athletes (and politicians for that matter Weinergate?) who can't stay out of trouble and the media which brings the latest/greatest scandal into our lives. Then there are the hockey Moms & Dads that give coaches a hard time & put too much pressure on their youngsters to perform to their expectations.

I've actually begun watching more women's sporting events, hockey & soccer. Less testosterone and more intelligence & tactics to how they play the game. Looking forward to the FIFA Women's World Cup this summer. And for the most part, the ladies are softer and smell nice.

Last edited by mike31154; 06-17-2011 at 02:18 PM.