Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-12-2011, 03:42 AM

AquaticFinatic is on a distinguished road

Just be careful if you go to big you may need to have a humidifier going as well. Then your paying to remove the moisture you have to put back. Go with what they tell you as they should know. Just my hvac 2cents.

Loudest part of my system would be the nagging sound I hear on a regular basis about how much time and money I spend on the tank.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:50 AM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveycoopa View Post
Just be careful if you go to big you may need to have a humidifier going as well. Then your paying to remove the moisture you have to put back. Go with what they tell you as they should know. Just my hvac 2cents.
now that would be bad lol. But also mean that i can have more fish tank
Old 05-12-2011, 04:20 AM

cale262 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveycoopa View Post
I'm using a Lennox passive system which is controlled via a programmable electronic humidistat(Honeywell). you just set it to the humidity level you wish to maintain and it does the rest.

Last edited by cale262; 05-12-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:33 PM

mark0933 is on a distinguished road

I have been running a RNC155 for a couple of years and have no issues at all, I have a 2000sq ft house and 800G of tanks and it keeps the humidity right where you set it.

Mark
Old 05-12-2011, 01:28 PM

wingedfish is on a distinguished road

Lifebreath has been making hrv's for 20 years and are one of the top manufacturers. I've installed lots and try to run the exhausts to the problem areas such as bathrooms and kitchens. Tough to do in a finished house. Power over passive to actively control humidity issues. And go for the 2 speed that runs low (or off depending on what is needed) and steps to high when the dehumidistat calls for it. If the exhausts are in the bathrooms, a timer switch is installed to run it when using the bathroom. Once the temp climbs in spring they are detrimental to controlling humidity, especially if you use an air conditioner.

FYI, personaly I run 150 gallons of water in a 1000 sq foot 77 bilevel in one of the coldest climates in Canada, can buy wholesale and install myself, and still cannot justify the cost to benefit for an HRV. My house sits just over 50% humidity and for a few weeks a year I cannot see out the picture window do to condensation humidity issues. I live with it. If you or your family suffers from health effects do to airquallity issues, or your humidity runs higher than what you want, your cost to benefit ratio will sway to the hrv side. I would suggest that you research how they work and understand the benefits and pitfalls of the inherent design and compare to what your expectations are. No question they are a better investment than a dehumidifier.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:47 PM

rayjay is on a distinguished road

Lifebreath is made here in London, and, many other name brands as well that they just stick a different name plate on as other companies found it advantageous to have Lifebreath make HRV's for them.
When I bought mine many years ago, I spoke with the engineer there and he asked me for the size of the house, the square footage of the surface open water in the house, and the temperature of that water.
He came up with the 300DCS double core unit.
In my case, it JUST makes it and that's all, but I have a lot of water in my basement with my tanks and the culturing of rots, artemia and nanno.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:26 PM

WingedFish, normally how much do you charge for just installation? It seems like in Calgary, installer charge roughly 1K

I am not sure about all the CFM stuff but i guess LifeBreath RNC 10 should do the job because it is s little bit bigger than RNC155. also it has defrost port which i don't know if it is that useful.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:52 PM

mark0933 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedfish View Post
FYI, personaly I run 150 gallons of water in a 1000 sq foot 77 bilevel in one of the coldest climates in Canada, can buy wholesale and install myself, and still cannot justify the cost to benefit for an HRV. My house sits just over 50% humidity and for a few weeks a year I cannot see out the picture window do to condensation humidity issues. I live with it. If you or your family suffers from health effects do to airquallity issues, or your humidity runs higher than what you want, your cost to benefit ratio will sway to the hrv side. I would suggest that you research how they work and understand the benefits and pitfalls of the inherent design and compare to what your expectations are. No question they are a better investment than a dehumidifier.
Is your house an older house by any chance? My house is 10 years old and I had such a large amount of condensation on the back window (because new houses are built more energy efficient and air tight than older ones) that it actually rotted the floor under the back door - yes it was only particle board but it rotted in about 3 years, so I guess I justified the whole house rotting vs $2K pretty quickly.

Mark
Old 05-12-2011, 05:06 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I run a Lifebreath HRV. Best investment I ever made for my house. I had not even 150gallons at the time and six months into my new house the humidity at 40%-50% in the winter was causing weeping windows and mildew on drywall and ceilings. It was either "fix this now" or "sell the tanks and stay with a nano tank."

It fixed it.

Never looked back either. Best decision I ever made was to get a HRV.

I did go one model size larger than what the vendor recommended, whether this was necessary or not I don't know but I needed a silver bullet solution and the difference of a couple hundred dollars on the overall price tag wasn't enough not to do it at the time.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:08 PM

Tony, what model do you have ? Trying to pick out the one that suit my house. Also, open couple windows yesterday and my tank ph jump from 8.1 to 8.2 at the highest peak. So hopefully HRV will help with that too beside the humidity problem