Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:56 PM

noirsphynx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
the coloration is VERY similar to what is shown here. They are one stunning zoa, I would pay a mint to find them local.
Levi
Agreed, these are mine when they're happy and there is NO photo editing here except cropping.

Last edited by noirsphynx; 09-21-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:39 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
And If you have never seen the Candy Apples in person I wouldn't talk, the coloration is VERY similar to what is shown here. Levi
Levi, I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and will assume you didn't mean your comment to be as insulting as it appears.

In any event, I don't believe there's anything inherently wrong with colour correction and white balancing. It's used all the time in professional photography. There is, however, a fuzzy line where "correction" becomes "enhancement". Whether there's a issue with "enhancement" is a matter of degree. Cherry Corals is entitled to make their stock look as attractive as possible. But (photo-editing technicalities aside) at some point things may give the appearance being too good to be true. And to dumb schmucks like me who according to you, shouldn't be talking, several of the presented photos seem to have reached such a point.

If the photos are not enhanced, then fantastic. And good on Cherry Corals for showing an untouched original photo. But the concern is for potential consumers of their product (i.e. people who don't know what they are talking about like me) who may be dissapointed with the real thing after they've paid for them. There have been a lot of instances involving other vendors where great looking corals turn out to be not as great in person.

Even if Cherry Corals did not mean for these pictures to create marketing buzz, it sure hasn't hurt them judging by "ooh", "ahh" and "I wish I were in the US" comments on this thread. It's simply free publicity and good marketing on their part.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:57 PM

cherrycorals is on a distinguished road

I don't know how many different ways I need to say it, if you run lights like mine you will see what I see. Dissapointment will surely arise if you are running 10k. I am always happy to share with my clients my techniques and lighting scheme so they can enjoy what I enjoy.

That being said, I suppose now is the time for you guys to google CC and tell me of all the horror stories. There are none, so in effect I have been pulling the wool over successfully for 4 years now. Coincidence, I don't think so.

A little background for most of the photos posted, on another forum a friend and I are having a "photo fight". Just friendly competition really but we both have churned out some sick photos that I have shared here. Google Todd vs. Skyhigh photo fight and you will find it. Its all in good fun.

I take my biz seriously. I take killer photo's, I cut around every polyp when fragging. I never bisect a polyp if at all possible and keep my frags looking natural. Its sort of art to me, I understand that alot of shops don't have time for "art" but I do.

The only buzz is among you all and not among my potential clients so I am not sure why you guys keep bringing it up. Makes no sense.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:59 PM

Just for some more fun and to keep the "buzz" going.

Here is the picture I posted earlier, totally accurate and what it looks like in real life(no acid or other drugs involved)

This one is enhanced and I suppose if you were on acid this is what you would see. I have never taken acid so I am only guessing
Old 09-21-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoHuman View Post
I think the acid is wearing off, these "candy apples" don't look the same!

Quickly, someone shoot lightning bolts at it! <lightning bolt sound>

Phew, close one. Almost saved my self a couple hundred bucks.

Good thing I have a clue about what I'm talking about. I'm talking lightning and cherries people. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Same piece, we sell these for $40 bucks, you didn't save that much and you didn't get Candy Apples.

Well played!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:07 PM

saltcreep is on a distinguished road

IMHO, I feel that all vendors should specify the conditions the corals are kept in (lighting) and what post editing is done on the pictures, if any. That way there is no guessing. You see it from time to time that customers are unhappy since they perceive that they are not getting the coral as advertised.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:07 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

I really enjoyed these pictures over dolled up or not. I frequently drool over the pink boobies on your site : and all the other great peices you have. For what my opinion is worth lets see some more pictures.

360 Reef Tank
Old 09-21-2010, 11:38 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Well thank you for the benefit of the doubt, It was in no way meant as an insult just trying to prove a point. Out of curiosity have you had the privilege of seeing this species in person?

Todd is representing them in a very truthful manor, they are a stunning strain of zoa in person and sometimes photos don't do them justice. Cameras are not designed to accurately take photos through water, this is where an editing program comes in to properly depict the coral. That being said I do 100% agree with you on the fuzzy line comment, In this situation I know the line has not been crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkshiu View Post
Levi, I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and will assume you didn't mean your comment to be as insulting as it appears.

In any event, I don't believe there's anything inherently wrong with colour correction and white balancing. It's used all the time in professional photography. There is, however, a fuzzy line where "correction" becomes "enhancement". Whether there's a issue with "enhancement" is a matter of degree. Cherry Corals is entitled to make their stock look as attractive as possible. But (photo-editing technicalities aside) at some point things may give the appearance being too good to be true. And to dumb schmucks like me who according to you, shouldn't be talking, several of the presented photos seem to have reached such a point.

If the photos are not enhanced, then fantastic. And good on Cherry Corals for showing an untouched original photo. But the concern is for potential consumers of their product (i.e. people who don't know what they are talking about like me) who may be dissapointed with the real thing after they've paid for them. There have been a lot of instances involving other vendors where great looking corals turn out to be not as great in person.

Even if Cherry Corals did not mean for these pictures to create marketing buzz, it sure hasn't hurt them judging by "ooh", "ahh" and "I wish I were in the US" comments on this thread. It's simply free publicity and good marketing on their part.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:40 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

And Todd out of curiosity what price do you sell the candy apples for?
Old 09-21-2010, 11:43 PM

jzz30tt is on a distinguished road

I'll be the first of the 'dissidents' to agree that the corals are amazing pieces, that is not in arguable territory, the pictures are also very well taken and there is no complaint with that however...

The calling out of a member here for a legitimate if not politically delivered comment in the fashion that occurred is the issue that some of us have made comments in protest to. It was uncalled for and inappropriate especially in view of the fact that he was right...

However thankfully none of our lives will really change for the better or worse following this little distraction...
Closed Thread