Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 08-18-2010, 11:35 PM

Inedaan is on a distinguished road

Soo... I am about 90% sure I have Dino's I have this darker brown algae (mainly on the sand bed but a little on the rocks) that has long stringy things coming off it and near the top of the tank it is full of bubbles. I read that a Blackout is an effective method of dealing with them, but here is my question. Right now I have a Green Chromis, Two Hermit Crabs, Three Snails, Peppermint Shrimp, an Orange Spotted Goby and a Tiger Pistol Shrimp and a bunch of random hitch hikers that I don't care one way or the other about. If I were to do say a 5-7 day Blackout, would I just turn off the lights cover the tank and leave it be, or would I want to feed the fish/Inverts at all during this time at all?
Old 09-07-2010, 01:34 AM

Inedaan is on a distinguished road

Soo... A quick update and also a question... I had to take out the two Green Chromis as the one was picking on the other and absolutely everything else in the tank (Except the Pistol/Watchman). He would attack the Hermit Crabs, the snails, pretty much anything that wasn't dead. After that I put in a Firefish, who was great! He kept going over and checking out the Pistol's little burrow and the Pistol would always chase him off clicking away, but never harm any came... Until today... When I got up everything was all fine, went to work, came home and the Firefish was dead half-buried in the Pistol's front lawn being munched on by the snails.

Can anyone recommend an interesting fish that will occupy the open water in my tank? My Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp are amazing but the one just sits still and the other is out of view 90% of the time. Thanks