Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-06-2010, 04:18 AM

Inedaan is on a distinguished road
Cool Inedaan's 29 Gallon BioCube

Well, here goes my first marine tank! After many years of longing and wishy washing, I finally took the plunge. I had been planning on getting a 14 gallon but I saw a 29 on major discount so I got it instead.

This was the tank after twenty pounds of live rock and sand:

A day later:

Inhabitant we noticed today (We think it might be a brittle star but we're not sure as we've only seen this tiny leg-like protrusion):

So far I am just running everything stock with bioballs removed and false bottom in chamber one removed to fit the ebo jager heater.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:57 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Looks like a great start! Yes I would concur on the brittle star. If you have not done so already check out nano-reef.com also for lots of good nano and BC29 info.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:00 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

yep, rule of thumb on bio-cubes. upgrade your pump, fan, and ballests for your lights. I just ran into the loud fan issue on the bc14 and man is it annoying, let alone probably stressful on the fish
Old 07-06-2010, 08:15 PM

snow1 is on a distinguished road

Great looking tank so far, what are you planning to stock it with?
Old 07-07-2010, 01:53 AM

Greenmaster is on a distinguished road

I'm here to follow and help if I can
Old 07-07-2010, 05:12 AM

I will upgrade the pump on in in the next couple of days... Much of the information I find online seems to be about the 14G Biocube. Would the Maxi-Jet Submersible Utility Pump 1800 (475 GPH) and Perhaps a Powerhead in the tank be enough in terms of flow?

As far as the Fans/Lighting Ballasts... I was planning on ordering one of the DIY Nanotuner Kits, the one to add one extra PC to make it 108W and order the quiet fans with it and in the next month or two, as funds allow, order the Ballast Upgrade Kit.

And stock list... I have really wanted clowns since I was like 10, so I think I will get a pair of Perc/Oce or whatever they have at the LFS when I finally get around to that that tickles my fancy What else could I get in there... I have to admit the Blue Spot Jawfish is incredibly interesting but I am completely new to Marine so and I haven't exactly seen it on a best starter fish list. What would you all suggest to put in there with a pair of clowns? And I figured I would start with some Mushrooms or Zoa's or other easy things to keep alive once the tank is well and settled.

And, should I add more Live Rock do you think, it looks kind of empty to me...
Old 07-07-2010, 11:05 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

To Canreef

Old 07-08-2010, 04:57 AM

:O There is all sorts of random things mysteriously showing up and Algae is trying to take over my tank! There is now atleast three Brittle Stars and I saw a group of like ten snails (One that was about 2-3MM big and then the rest were really tiny) wandering around...

Also, there is something digging burrows... The flow in the tank keeps blowing the sand down and covering this one hole in the Live Rock and EVERY morning, it has been dug back out?

I put the Live Rock (LFS had it labeled as completely cured and ready to go) in on Sunday and the Ammonia went up to about .25-.50 about two hours later. Ever since then Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate have read zero, when should I start to put some CUC in there?
Old 07-08-2010, 05:18 AM

Greenmaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inedaan View Post
:O There is all sorts of random things mysteriously showing up and Algae is trying to take over my tank! There is now atleast three Brittle Stars and I saw a group of like ten snails (One that was about 2-3MM big and then the rest were really tiny) wandering around...

Also, there is something digging burrows... The flow in the tank keeps blowing the sand down and covering this one hole in the Live Rock and EVERY morning, it has been dug back out?

I put the Live Rock (LFS had it labeled as completely cured and ready to go) in on Sunday and the Ammonia went up to about .25-.50 about two hours later. Ever since then Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate have read zero, when should I start to put some CUC in there?
Algae is a cycle that tanks go through... It's what is eating your Nitrate.
Nice that you got some free stars and stuff...
You got a camera so you can post the snails for identification?
You might want to stake out the tank at night with a red light and a camera to see what is digging... some stuff can be bad...
After you have identified what you can for hitchhikers your tank seems ready for your CUC and a small fish or two.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:46 AM

Here's two terrible pictures of the miniscule snails... the big one seems to have gone into hiding :S

Also you can see some of my lovely algae in this picture.