Check out the comment at 1:38
Old 03-13-2010, 04:05 AM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead View Post
While we're at it how about this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA

Check out the comment at 1:38
ROFL. Yeah, I think I saw one that last year. Onion News Network is pretty funny.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:42 AM

Crytone is on a distinguished road

Ok, those videos definitely made me laugh. Both were great and worth a look/laugh.

Here's a funny picture I found the other day also.

Someone commented to me a few pages back about my not wanting to an iPad since it wouldn't be good for myself for school. I'll comment back saying that, according to current know specs of the iPad, it will NOT work for me. Speculating the iPad will have a stylus is more excessive than me speculating it won't since Apple hasn't announced that feature yet, and it's less than a month away from being released (you think if they were going for that demographic of user they'd have announced that spec if it was included). Now I believe a version 2 iPad may likely include this feature but not version 1 as it is currently known. Using a 'sausage' or any makeshift stylus will not offer enough dexterity I feel also.

As for the textbooks, I stand by my stance that many will not be released for the iPad, and if they are it won't be an iPad only version (likely some kind of format that can be placed on any kindle, iPad, laptop, Courier, etc..). Limiting themselves to a single platform would likely be too costly for the amount gained. Many companies will wait and see how well the iPad is adopted and by that time I'll have graduated and have no need for new textbooks anymore. Students are cheap too, why would they pay $100 for a digital format book when they can buy a used textbook for $40? Saving $60 to buy beer with! The other problem is if I drop my iPad and break it, I'd lose my textbooks until I got a new iPad or got it repaired, with a book I drop it I maybe crease a few pages but otherwise have a usable book still to finish my assignment due the next day.

Just my thoughts.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:58 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron99 View Post
I suspect they will have another success on their hands. Did you ever use a Newton? I had one years ago. It was a great device but also a bit ahead of its time. If a slightly sleeker newton had debuted around the same time as the palm pilot Apple would probably have killed Palm.

Here's an interesting perspective on Apple vs. the critics:

http://www.theweek.com/article/index..._first_reviews
I played with one years ago, I liked the interface and it's applications. I didn't, however, like the screen on any of the PDAs of the day. I found them all to be difficult to read, and the lack of a light exacerbated the problem.

What I was referring to is exactly that, the possibility that the public won't 'get' the product and it will be pushed aside by the marketplace. I think the iPad might be a winner... though if I personally bought one, I'd have to buy a keyboard to go with it.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:45 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAbyss View Post
I played with one years ago, I liked the interface and it's applications. I didn't, however, like the screen on any of the PDAs of the day. I found them all to be difficult to read, and the lack of a light exacerbated the problem.

What I was referring to is exactly that, the possibility that the public won't 'get' the product and it will be pushed aside by the marketplace. I think the iPad might be a winner... though if I personally bought one, I'd have to buy a keyboard to go with it.
Absolutely. Screen technology has come a long way from the poorly backlit monochrome LCDs of those days. It was the best available for a handheld device then.

I also think the market may get the iPad more easily now given the success of the iPhone and iPod Touch to lead the way. People will know how to use it and have some idea what it can do from those devices. It will be the newer functionality which will sell the device. I am pretty certain that when it comes time to replace my current laptop I will buy an iPad and a desktop instead. The iPad is far more portable and will do everything I need it to do on the road (surf the net, check email, take notes, show slide presentations etc.) and I can have a more powerful desktop such as an iMac at home/office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crytone View Post
Ok, those videos definitely made me laugh. Both were great and worth a look/laugh.

Here's a funny picture I found the other day also.

Someone commented to me a few pages back about my not wanting to an iPad since it wouldn't be good for myself for school. I'll comment back saying that, according to current know specs of the iPad, it will NOT work for me. Speculating the iPad will have a stylus is more excessive than me speculating it won't since Apple hasn't announced that feature yet, and it's less than a month away from being released (you think if they were going for that demographic of user they'd have announced that spec if it was included). Now I believe a version 2 iPad may likely include this feature but not version 1 as it is currently known. Using a 'sausage' or any makeshift stylus will not offer enough dexterity I feel also.

As for the textbooks, I stand by my stance that many will not be released for the iPad, and if they are it won't be an iPad only version (likely some kind of format that can be placed on any kindle, iPad, laptop, Courier, etc..). Limiting themselves to a single platform would likely be too costly for the amount gained. Many companies will wait and see how well the iPad is adopted and by that time I'll have graduated and have no need for new textbooks anymore. Students are cheap too, why would they pay $100 for a digital format book when they can buy a used textbook for $40? Saving $60 to buy beer with! The other problem is if I drop my iPad and break it, I'd lose my textbooks until I got a new iPad or got it repaired, with a book I drop it I maybe crease a few pages but otherwise have a usable book still to finish my assignment due the next day.

Just my thoughts.
Nice, Steve Jobs playing Break Dance Revolution on the iMat

As for a stylus, there are already companies making iPhone compatible styluses (styli?) so it is not inconceivable that if Apple itself does not release a stylus/note taking app some third party (or parties) will make note taking apps. It is an obvious application for the iPad so somebody will do it.

As for textbooks, that will come sooner than later. You can come up with plenty of reasons and rationale as to why it won't happen but I suspect you will be wrong. I think the idea of carrying around a 1.5 pound device instead of 40 or 50 pounds of textbooks will appeal to many people and the textbooks for iPad will be more interactive and have features paper textbooks will not have. They may very well release versions for other devices such as the Courier (if and when it shows up and if it is any good) or other slate computers. The current Kindle,and similar eReaders, are to limited to offer the type of interactivity and media richness the iPad etc. will offer. However, I do think devices such as the iPad, Kindle, other slates etc. will spell the end of paper books eventually. It won't happen next year but will probably take a decade. Look how CD sales have dropped off over the last years because of services like iTunes. If the publishing industry have any brains they will use the example of the music industry and try to change and evolve rather than fight it like the record companies did. Didn't do the music industry any good to fight it.

Plenty of pundits crapped on the iPod and iPhone when they was announced. Harped on what they couldn't do and what they were missing blah blah blah instead of trying to see the potential in the device and imagine what it can do. We've seen how the iPod/iTunes ecosystem changed the way we consume music. Apple and all the developers who created 100,000 plus apps have shown what the iPhone/iPod Touch can do. Whatever you or others think, the iPad is more than a big iPod Touch. The larger screen itself opens it up to greater possibilities than are practical with the smaller devices. The future keeps approaching my friends. Embrace it and enjoy the possibilities
Old 03-14-2010, 07:04 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAbyss View Post
just like back in the day when Microsoft went for Apple's jugular, and Apple fought back. Stuff like this between tech companies happens, it's just the way it goes (and hopefully, we the consumer eventually benefit). Let's just all try to remember that we are the consumers... spend your cash wisely.

um, that was Apple that went after Microsoft.. microsoft fought back with all of Hells fury and wone. that when apple tried to destroy Microsoft over windows. not xp but version 1 Apple almost was eliminated and lost a lot of there momentum back then over there lawsuit against microsoft. If they never would have launched that they would probably be just as big as MS now.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:52 AM

midgetwaiter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
um, that was Apple that went after Microsoft.. microsoft fought back with all of Hells fury and wone. that when apple tried to destroy Microsoft over windows. not xp but version 1 Apple almost was eliminated and lost a lot of there momentum back then over there lawsuit against microsoft. If they never would have launched that they would probably be just as big as MS now.

Steve
You have a very shallow understanding of what happened.

Apple filed suit over the changes introduced in Windows 2.0, the elements used in Windows 1.0 were licensed from Apple but didn't extend to overlapping windows. Apple also went after HP and some others at the same time for similar reasons and won. Xerox also sued Apple on similar grounds during this period but for some reason they never sued MS. Microsoft did hire some of the staff from Xerox PARC so maybe they took some patents with them or something, that was how they defended the Apple lawsuit at least.

This was about the same time MS started to play footsie with IBM in the OS/2 project though so it could be that IBM offered them some additional cross license protection from their portfolio. The OS/2 partnership may have also been Apple's target all along as well, soon after MS pulled out of OS/2 for the Chicago / NT strategy Apple started working with IBM on Taligent. What killed Apple's momentum during this period were the successive failures of the Taligent and Copeland projects, and the relative success of MS' Chicago (win95). These lawsuits are not even a blip.

I don't know why you hate Apple so much now but unless your understanding of the current situation is much better than understanding of the past you may want to reconsider. Good lord, look at how much money Microsoft gave to those scumbags at SCO so they could go after linux, that makes Apple look saintly in comparison.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:00 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

actualy I was worng on the version number it was two not one..

"Without warning, Apple filed suit against Microsoft in federal court on March 17, 1988 for violating Apple's copyrights on the "visual displays" of the Macintosh. (Apple also filed suit against HP for its NewWave environment that ran on top of Windows 2.0.)
Apple's suit included 189 contested visual displays that Apple believed violated its copyright.
Microsoft countersued, but it failed to stem the bad publicity. Windows' development community was terrified that any court ordered changes to the software would render their products incompatible and make Windows undesirable to consumers. Borland's CEO said it was like "waking up and finding out that your partner might have AIDS."
Fortunately for Windows developers, Judge W. Schwarzer ruled on July 25, 1989, that 179 of the 189 disputed displays were covered by the existing license, and most of the other ten were not violations of Apple's copyright due to the merger doctrine (the merger doctrine stipulates that ideas cannot be copyrighted). In the case of Apple vs. Microsoft, many of the displays Apple contested were ideas and could not be protected by copyright.
The lawsuit was decided in Microsoft's favor on August 24, 1993."

certionaly looks like they launched a lawsuit against MS to me.

in fact if MS wounldn't have given money to Apple in 97, there might not be a apple. but like anything else... MS needs compatition or they are declaired a monopoly so it was in there best interest to keep Apple floating. just like the comercials they let apple run.

"The lawsuit single-handedly tainted Microsoft-Apple relations until 1997, when Microsoft pumped $100 million into Apple.
The 1985 agreement hurt Sculley almost as much as the judgment did. Mac users everywhere were shocked that the Apple CEO would give Microsoft unfettered access to the Macintosh interface in exchange for Excel and Word.
Apple appealed the ruling and made it all the way to the Supreme Court, which declined to hear the case"

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.