Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I approach builds now like this:

I can't garantee I can get anything to live let alone thrive. Better make it all look nice empty and go from there. I'm sure you're not in the same boat tho =)
Old 10-05-2009, 06:03 PM

andestang is on a distinguished road

Looking like an impressive build so far. Looking at all the colors in the room I think if you kinda like a red try going with a dark burgundy/wine color I think it would with you coach & rug at the same time. Keep up the good work.

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

I,m a more earthy type color fan also.

Great build thread. Love the pics so far and like Tony, reminds me of hauling a few up & down stairs.

Looks very nicely done though. And nice looking aquarium itself.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:22 AM

loveless is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Time for an update. I work out of town so tank stuff is done in spurts. Last days off I had about 90% of the plumbing done but ran out of time. So I was getting pretty anxious to finish it when I got back home. It almost complete in these photos aside from screen on the drains,and pump pick ups and odds and ends.

I went pretty deep into the tank budget with the plumbing. The PVC alone was about 4x what I initially thought it was going to be, not to mention all the big ticket items. It was quite trying to locate all the necessary parts ie true union ball valves, gate valves and spaflex, but I managed to get it all together.

This is my contribution to plumbing madness/overkill...

2x OM 4-ways on snappers for the closed loop

1x Dart for the return, this is a big pump compared to the snappers

A sump (built by me, hope it holds the test of time) with 3 separate drains for safety and an overflow in the sump plumbed directly to sewer.

Sump, drains, and return pump, the line to sewer takes off around the corner and is plumbed into the utility sink

Back of tank showing drains, CL, and return up left side

Here you can see the Herbie in the overflow

Back of tank showing CL. You can save alot if you go without all the true union ball valves, and maybe use a regular union and separate ball valve. Oh well next time

Side view of the closed loop pumps and OM's. This setup works really well creating constant well placed flow in the tank with minimal dead spots. As recomended by Paul from OM

Here is a photo of the Herbie style overflow. Really like this setup as you have control over the level of water. Only problem is I cant see any surface skimming taking place in the overflow itself. Minor prob

Top of tank poor pic but. I had the eurobrace drilled to accept bulkheads but they could only be 3/4 so I bypassed them and just did 1" over the top, personal preference I guess.

This is the right side as viewed from the tank room. These are the returns for the closed loop along the front of the tank. Not overly happy with the hole placement but the extra bracing along the bottom front had to be there i guess. I originally wanted them closer to the front so I just have to make due.

Closed Loop viewed form the front.

And again from opposite side.

Next step is wiring and lighting. Thinking LumenMax elites, with 250W

Thats all for now folks. Thanks for viewing

Last edited by loveless; 11-30-2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:31 AM

loveless is on a distinguished road

Had prolly like atleast 10 leaks all of which were on threaded joints so they were easy fixes. Only one concern was that I missed cementing one of the fittings for the closed loop. Stupidly on my part I still havent glued it in these pics even with 330gal of water sitting on it.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:02 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice build!

Awesome looking tank!

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 11-30-2009 at 02:04 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:46 AM

BWI is on a distinguished road

looks good so far!!!