Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-26-2009, 01:40 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Why do you say that??

I thought the MP40's were the ones getting the noise complaints? I thought it was the MP20s that seem to have the kinks worked out...?
I've had an MP40W for about a year now & it is audible in the mode I'm running it in, long pulse at close to 100%. But I definitely do not have to yell to be heard around it, it's not that bad. Dialed down to less than say 80% it is considerably quieter. Depends a lot on ambient sound levels as well. I would not recommend it for folks with tanks in their bedroom unless they are sound sleepers. When I'm home, I'll often dial it down at night time.

I purchased the unit at J&L about a month before they redesigned the wet side magnet (last March/April). The original magnets had a poor coating which eventually leaked causing the magnet to rust. That's been fixed with the Gen 2 upgrade. There are several other minor upgrades to the Gen 2, but nothing to directly deal with the sound generated by the dry side motor. The motor is outside the tank, so sure you're going to hear it hum/buzz, there's no water to muffle the sound as with conventional power heads.

I have no experience with wave boxes, but the footprint inside the tank is sufficient reason for me to happily deal with a little noise from my MP40W, with the added benefit of no electrical cord in the water. After toying with the VorTech modes and making surface waves in my 75 using short pulse mode, I've found the long pulse mode much more natural in the flow it creates. I don't care to make a wave at the surface, to me it's more important what's happening below the surface. The VorTech creates a nice undertow which keeps detritus from settling on the substrate. Videos of 1 or 1.5 inch waves on the surface are great marketing tools to get peoples attention, but every tank is different and not everyone needs a wave at the surface to get the desired effect down under... that's where your livestock is.

Myka, the MP20 motor and wetside are identical to the MP40. The difference in the two is purely the power supply and the driver module. The MP20 is run at a lower speed than the MP40 and therefore makes less noise, not because of any kinks that have been worked out. Top speed is simply lower for an MP20. This is also why the MP20 can be upgraded to MP40 simply with the purchase of a kit consisting of a new power supply and driver module. Nothing needs to be done to the dry side motor or wet side.

I'm saving up for another MP40W.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:55 AM

sitandwatch is on a distinguished road

Wondering if there is enough interest in a group buy for some vortech's as that seems to be the way this thread it pointing?
Old 03-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Moved on

OceanicCorals-Ian- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitandwatch View Post
Wondering if there is enough interest in a group buy for some vortech's as that seems to be the way this thread it pointing?

I am in for two should a group buy take place here!
Old 03-27-2009, 06:43 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Mike, thanks a lot for your review and clarification on the VorTechs!!

I would be in on a group buy, but I'm not at the coast...not sure if it would end up doing me any good.

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:49 PM

No problemo, happy to be of assistance. You really need to see/hear one in action in person to appreciate how it functions. I'm fairly certain J&L have one running in their tank by the door as you walk in, along with a wavebox etc. It's been a while since I've been there though, so who knows what they've got going in there now.

As for group buy, I'd be interested in one MP40W, but not sure a group buy will yield much in the way of savings. I'm fairly certain EcoTech is firm on their price so it's up to the retailer and they like to make a decent profit too. I've been keeping my eye on the buy/sell forum of a certain other reef forum. There are a few used ones for sale there, but never know what you're going to get buying used.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:12 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Hey Mike, there was a guy on Castanet selling his 90g (I think it was 90), and he's decided to part out he has two MP40s, maybe he'd offer them/it to you at a decent price. If the price is good enough, I might buy one of the two if we could work that out.

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:36 AM

Darn this thread!! So I did a lot of checking on prices and even got prices for a GP and it was not worth it sooooooooooooo

I hit Red Coral on the way home and now I have a shinny new MP20.

I will install tonight and post some feed back.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Hey Mike, there was a guy on Castanet selling his 90g (I think it was 90), and he's decided to part out he has two MP40s, maybe he'd offer them/it to you at a decent price. If the price is good enough, I might buy one of the two if we could work that out.
Hmm, not familiar with Castanet, but I'll check it out. Similar to eBay or Craigslist?
Old 03-28-2009, 09:40 PM

Got the mp20 running this morning.

Started it on high and well the tank filled with crap coming off the rocks, I have noticed flow in areas that had no flow before.

I have been playing with the diferant settings even got a few waves happening, but have left it on about 80% on reef crest mode and will see how that works out.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:36 AM

geeluk is on a distinguished road

Tagging along on this...I was doing a search and came across a guy on reefsanctuary.com that set up a group buy. I pm'd the guy to see what the price would be. It sounds like they got a good deal and shipping was fast. Will update if I get a reply.