Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 01-06-2009, 02:48 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by om6acw View Post
when you need replace just reflectors this can be good home project but if you can get whole new lumenbright mini pendants for $120 I don't know...
True.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutoniumJoe View Post
I would be interested in going in on an order and maybe we could split the shipping making it more cost effective.

- Joe
Ok, well I am going to look locally. There should be something around the city. I can't imagine Vancouver has NO reflective aluminum
Old 01-06-2009, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
but how many can be built form a sheet????? I may be interested in enough for a 175W reflector. Want to try MH on my corner tank, but want to do it cheap for starters, see if I like it with the heat issue and such
I think from that sheet I was looking at you can build at least three, maybe even four. I would have to double check though.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:53 AM

KrazyKuch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to KrazyKuch

Each one takes up 21.5" X 21.5" so you could make 2 reflectors per sheet!!

Kevin
Old 01-06-2009, 06:08 AM

Chris_A is on a distinguished road

Just a thought but maybe try some fabrication shops. I know I *could* get some mirror-polished aluminium through work but last time I looked into it the cost was... prohibative. Granted that was for 16ga and over a year ago though. Maybe try for some 20ga or lighter? One thing to keep in mind, at some point the price actually goes UP with thinner material.

There is also mirror polish stainless steel but again... not cheap. I'll double check what the technical name for that finish is and post so you can at least take a look at it.

Chris
Old 01-06-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_A View Post
Just a thought but maybe try some fabrication shops. I know I *could* get some mirror-polished aluminium through work but last time I looked into it the cost was... prohibative. Granted that was for 16ga and over a year ago though. Maybe try for some 20ga or lighter? One thing to keep in mind, at some point the price actually goes UP with thinner material.

There is also mirror polish stainless steel but again... not cheap. I'll double check what the technical name for that finish is and post so you can at least take a look at it.

Chris
Yeah its looking like the really good stuff would make this project more expensive than buying the real thing. So I have to look at materials and see if there is a cheaper product that has a good reflection and hopefully is relatively thin. We'll see.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:28 AM

Chris_A is on a distinguished road

There is one material I had thought about that is relatively cheap... I just have no idea if it would be better, worse or no change at all. Aluminium Checker Plate, it comes polished, is readily available and you can get it pretty thin. I thought *maybe* the checkers would be something like a hammertone finish only better because they are polished. But they could also just scatter the light. I've never seen someone use it so if you want to be a guinea pig...

Chris
Old 01-06-2009, 01:00 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

I purchased original lumanarcs about 3 years ago. One of the most difficult decisions I ever made as I already had light reflectors on my system (not a rich guy!). However, after buying these reflectors, well one of the best purchases/decisions I ever made in this hobby. These reflectors are work every penny!
Old 01-06-2009, 01:23 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedfrags.com View Post
I purchased original lumanarcs about 3 years ago. One of the most difficult decisions I ever made as I already had light reflectors on my system (not a rich guy!). However, after buying these reflectors, well one of the best purchases/decisions I ever made in this hobby. These reflectors are work every penny!
I completely agree. These were one of the best purchases I've ever made for my tank.

I hope this works out for you, I think the idea is fantastic.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:34 AM

So there was one guy on RC that made his with regular duct aluminum (or whatever metal that is) and some of that reflective tape. He made the whole thing WITH socket and wiring for $30. Can't beat that and although its not as reflective as using proper reflective aluminum, it looks pretty darn good and would be better than most U reflectors anyways.

I may try this first since its so cheap.