Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 01-06-2009, 01:05 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Lumenarc" Reflectors...

I am going to start this project tomorrow. DIY Lumenarc style reflectors. The ones I have seen on RC look pretty darn good and cheap! Well depending on what kind of aluminum you use.

What would you guys recommend for a highly reflective aluminum (over 85%) and where would you get it? People have been using Skylight tubing which is about 95% reflectivity but kind of pricey.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100007578

I saw someone else use just cheapo, aluminum and made a few reflectors for like $20 and then used that reflective "aluminum" tape...not sure what its actually called or used for but its in the duct area of HD. This worked but was not nearly as reflective as the proper aluminum. Apparently WAY better than even a good quality "U" shaped reflector though, so that says a lot about the design.

Here are some pics of the template (that I will print off and then take to Kinkos to get enlarged to 281%, which should make the 14" reflectors) and some finished products from RC members.

Looks pretty darn good to me.

Any ideas for a good aluminum to use?
Old 01-06-2009, 01:18 AM

saltwater-virgin is on a distinguished road

Great idea... I did a search and found this http://anomet.com/cgi-bin/online/storepro.php.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:23 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Ohh, following along with great interest

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 01-06-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwater-virgin View Post
Great idea... I did a search and found this http://anomet.com/cgi-bin/online/storepro.php.
Thanks this is actually some great stuff for a good price. Ontario though and I don't really want to have it shipped.

Or do they sell through other retailers?
Old 01-06-2009, 02:00 AM

I was looking at the 98% reflectivity stuff but they want $42 shipping! It is overnight though...

So it ends up being around $100 for a sheet that is 24x48...still may be worth it but I have no idea if this product would be good or not for this.

http://anomet.com/cgi-bin/online/storepro.php
Old 01-06-2009, 02:01 AM

om6acw is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to om6acw

At the end its going to cost you same, maybe more, depends of how you are handy, just count reflective material (95% and more is pretty expensive 24x24" it's around $57) bulb socket, cables, rivets , tools if you dont have it you have to buy or rent + your time for fabrication, looking for material. If you stay in work for couple extra hours you can buy them, original with proper used material, each one exactly same..... so I dont think this is worth that much effort....
Old 01-06-2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by om6acw View Post
At the end its going to cost you same, maybe more, depends of how you are handy, just count reflective material (95% and more is pretty expensive 24x24" it's around $57) bulb socket, cables, rivets , tools if you dont have it you have to buy or rent + your time for fabrication, looking for material. If you stay in work for couple extra hours you can buy them, original with proper used material, each one exactly same..... so I dont think this is worth that much effort....
Not even close to the same price. I was about to pay $250 for two reflectors plus shipping. I just need the aluminum ($50) and some rivets. I have all the tools already (stepfather does) and I have the sockets and wiring. I am just making new reflectors to replace mine...maybe about $60-70 for two. Thats about $180-200 less.

Have you checked out the prices of the Lumenarc Minis??? $119 plus tax and shipping is the best I have seen but if you have seen better, please let me know!
Old 01-06-2009, 02:14 AM

plutoniumJoe is on a distinguished road
Default Split the shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
I was looking at the 98% reflectivity stuff but they want $42 shipping! It is overnight though...

So it ends up being around $100 for a sheet that is 24x48...still may be worth it but I have no idea if this product would be good or not for this.

http://anomet.com/cgi-bin/online/storepro.php
I would be interested in going in on an order and maybe we could split the shipping making it more cost effective.

- Joe
Old 01-06-2009, 02:18 AM

om6acw is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to om6acw

when you need replace just reflectors this can be good home project but if you can get whole new lumenbright mini pendants for $120 I don't know...
Old 01-06-2009, 02:22 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

but how many can be built form a sheet????? I may be interested in enough for a 175W reflector. Want to try MH on my corner tank, but want to do it cheap for starters, see if I like it with the heat issue and such

Umm, a tank or 5