Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-30-2008, 04:38 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Why not try a 40Breeder tank.. I think they are sweet sized tank...

Or you could get a custom 24x24x16 40G for about $40-60...

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 12-30-2008, 04:44 AM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee
Default 150??? no problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
I agree, 65g is an awesome tank, only issue is I have already purchased my 150w Halides and putting them on a 24" deep tank would be pushing it. Ideally I was looking for a 36x16 base with 18 high but the search isn't panning out. I know the 50g and 58g are standard sizes but I am not sure of there availablility in BC?

Thanks,
Ken
Ken
FWIW i have 150 watt halides over my tank thats 24 high and the LPS and softies are doing well with that lighting. I'm only letting you know as that should not be a factor in not deciding to go with a 24 high. You can keep the lps and softies closer to the bottom and the SPS towards the top.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:49 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
So i need some advice from you reefers... I am going to upgrade to an aquarium in the 40g - 60g range and i am wondering if its worth going to the effort of building my own or just settling for something close in dimensions but more available?
My wife and I have a baby on the way so realistically I wont be upgrading for a long time. Oh and the Mrs. has absolutely no interest in reef tanks... crazy I know...
My main concern is if I get a tank that doesnt have the exact dimensions I want, I will end up regretting not going with a custom. But honestly does 2" here or there make a huge difference? Budget is a concern as well...

Thanks,
Ken
Speaking from personal experience, yes not having a tank the way you want is irksome, but if you can live with it then no big deal. I've upgraded/downgraded etc several times, every time i regretted not doing something exactly the way i wanted. Even the color of the silicone can bother you if it is not what you want. But sometimes budget, most cases budget....limits you on what you can get. There are several cheap places to have aquariums made and shipped, as well as having glass cut and assemble it yourself...which for a custom size is more affordable.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:10 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

I agree, if you are not planning on another tank for a long time, get exactly what you want as long as it is within your budget. Don't rule out a custom tank with out looking for prices. My tank was a custom (3'X2'X2') and it was only 50 bucks more for the custom size. It is usually when they go over a certain length in one dimension that they get real expensive.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:05 AM

Kronk is on a distinguished road

I reckon that i will go with a 65g as suggested and just build the canopy so it comes down 4", it may also have the benefit of being a jumping guard against suicidal fish.

Thanks for all the advice,
Ken