Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Build my own or settle for whats available? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47808)

Kronk 12-29-2008 06:31 AM

Build my own or settle for whats available?

So i need some advice from you reefers... I am going to upgrade to an aquarium in the 40g - 60g range and i am wondering if its worth going to the effort of building my own or just settling for something close in dimensions but more available?
My wife and I have a baby on the way so realistically I wont be upgrading for a long time. Oh and the Mrs. has absolutely no interest in reef tanks... crazy I know...
My main concern is if I get a tank that doesnt have the exact dimensions I want, I will end up regretting not going with a custom. But honestly does 2" here or there make a huge difference? Budget is a concern as well...

Thanks,
Ken

Rbacchiega 12-29-2008 08:08 AM

call around and get some quotes for tanks built to your specifications...either completely built or glass only if you feel comfortable enough to build it yourself. Then compare it to what is conventionally available and go from there. Sometimes "custom" tanks aren't all that much more expensive, you'd be surprised

Chin_Lee 12-29-2008 02:08 PM

My opinion is if its a 2" difference, get a common tank dimensions especially if budget is a concern. custom tank will easily double to triple your cost.

Tangman 12-29-2008 02:27 PM

I couldn't agree more...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chin_Lee (Post 372104)
My opinion is if its a 2" difference, get a common tank dimensions especially if budget is a concern. custom tank will easily double to triple your cost.

mike31154 12-29-2008 03:39 PM

2" here or there makes no difference really, unless you're planning to fit it into a specific space and are therefore limited to custom measurements. Other than that, the dimensions are a personal preference, within limits, depending on what you plan to keep. Another thing to consider is that spare parts such as tank trim are much easier to source if you happen to break the center brace or something.

If budget is a concern, why not keep an eye on the selling forum for a good used tank? You might even find a custom tank there close to the dimensions you're interested in...and the price will be way better than new. You're not in a hurry, so it's to your advantage to wait for a good deal.

Myka 12-29-2008 04:19 PM

What is the specific size you're looking for? Personally, I think 40-60g is too small to bother with custom dimensions. Too big of a price gap.

karazy 12-29-2008 04:23 PM

i would go with a common dimension like they are saying. but if you do get it built, make sure to get it done by someone good and maybe try to remember a built in overflow or something like that

Kronk 12-30-2008 12:03 AM

Sounds good... I will just go with a common size. Anyone know where i can find a 58g (36x18x21) or a 50g (35x18x18)?

Thanks,
Ken

Chin_Lee 12-30-2008 02:24 AM

if your base is 36x18, I recommend a 65gallon tall which is 36x18x24 high. Its a pretty standard tank and looks good proportionally.

Kronk 12-30-2008 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chin_Lee (Post 372307)
if your base is 36x18, I recommend a 65gallon tall which is 36x18x24 high. Its a pretty standard tank and looks good proportionally.

I agree, 65g is an awesome tank, only issue is I have already purchased my 150w Halides and putting them on a 24" deep tank would be pushing it. Ideally I was looking for a 36x16 base with 18 high but the search isn't panning out. I know the 50g and 58g are standard sizes but I am not sure of there availablility in BC?

Thanks,
Ken