Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-24-2008, 04:16 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I'm using the K-Z one (the Zeovit one). I don't remember reading anything about a pink/orange colour? It's totally white and the liquid is the total opposite of totally transparent. Opaque? Is that the word? I'm not sure. "Opaque" to me implies some translucency. It may as well be whole milk, there's no seeing through the liquid. If I take a flashlight and shine it up through the bottom then I have a vague perception of the colour strip but I'm not sure if I'm imagining it or not.

So there's a colour? Ok I'm more convinced than ever before I might have a dud test kit. I need to find someone close to me who tests K so I can compare test results maybe.

Thanks for the info, sorry for the hijack and good luck with the zeo. Other than the KZ K test kit I have only positive things to say about zeo.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:00 AM

niloc16 is on a distinguished road

dont apologize bud. i'm glad peoople are adding to this. i'm gonna sacrifice myself with screw up and stuff to help everyone else. so any input you got have at er

my tank setup
Old 12-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
I'm using the K-Z one (the Zeovit one). I don't remember reading anything about a pink/orange colour? It's totally white and the liquid is the total opposite of totally transparent. Opaque? Is that the word? I'm not sure. "Opaque" to me implies some translucency. It may as well be whole milk, there's no seeing through the liquid. If I take a flashlight and shine it up through the bottom then I have a vague perception of the colour strip but I'm not sure if I'm imagining it or not.

So there's a colour? Ok I'm more convinced than ever before I might have a dud test kit. I need to find someone close to me who tests K so I can compare test results maybe.

Thanks for the info, sorry for the hijack and good luck with the zeo. Other than the KZ K test kit I have only positive things to say about zeo.

The boys at Gold's do K-test Tony.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:54 PM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
I'm using the K-Z one (the Zeovit one). I don't remember reading anything about a pink/orange colour? It's totally white and the liquid is the total opposite of totally transparent. Opaque? Is that the word? I'm not sure. "Opaque" to me implies some translucency. It may as well be whole milk, there's no seeing through the liquid. .....
I had the very same issue. Only used it the one time. I'll give it another go, but no time now. After Xmas. (FWIW, other than one Turbinaria I don't keep SPS and didn't really need to buy the damn thing anyway ).

Cheers,
Old 12-24-2008, 05:56 PM

one thing i have noticed is the reduction in algae on the glass. i have not had to clean the glass since i started this. thats one bonus i guess.

my tank setup
Old 12-27-2008, 01:14 AM

well its been a few days and not alot is different. a major change is the amount of skimmate. every day is a full cup where as before i would clean it every 3rd day or so. death has stopped on most, one large colony has very very slow stripping in spots. as the potassium comes up i am noticing a difference in the purple tips and blue tips being more prominent.

my tank setup
Old 12-29-2008, 04:58 PM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

I tested for K again, using the Korallen-Zucht kit. Oy vey . The main issue(s) I have with the kit is Step 5.

Quote: "After 4 minutes place the test vial into the 'positioning device' on the color strip starting on the right side of the color bar."
Positioning device? Do they mean that piece of cardboard with a hole in it that the test vial doesn't fit into?

Quote: "Look from top through the milky liquid to the color strip".
The liquid is milky! How the heck is one suppose to look through it?

Quote: "Push the test vial with the positioning device slowly from right to left until you can hardly or no longer see the color strip."
Again, can't see the color strip in the first place because the solution is milky.

Quote: "In the middle of the test vial you will have the potassium concentration of your tankwater."
Huh? In the middle of the test vial? What the heck is that suppose to mean?

Quote: "Remove the positioning device and read off the potassium concentration in mg/l on the color strip."
Again, the "positioning device" can't be attached in the first place.

After having used this kit twice now, I've concluded that Step 5 is just a fancy-schmancy convuluted and confusing way of simply saying "After 4 minutes compare the solution to the color strip." I got what looked to be about 250 mg/l.

But I digress, as not being a keeper of SPS, I really don't need this kit. I guess I'm just in a rant mood. Sorry for the mini-hijack. Back to you.

Cheers,

Last edited by Johnny Reefer; 12-29-2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-29-2008, 08:11 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Amen man!! I've ranted about that too before. It makes no sense! You can't see through the liquid! Period. There's just no way.

But if you're supposed to just compare the liquid colour to the test strip, why wouldn't the instructions just say that??? There's no way that's a German to English translation error.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Amen man!! I've ranted about that too before. It makes no sense! You can't see through the liquid! Period. There's just no way.

But if you're supposed to just compare the liquid colour to the test strip, why wouldn't the instructions just say that??? There's no way that's a German to English translation error.
I'm in town, we should meet up =D