Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Wicked Frags

Old 12-02-2008, 08:00 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Why not use ebay and post a link here. It seems like the easiest solution, you'll only get serious inquiries, the time frame you want, you can set minimum bid, easy current bid tracking, no clutter, and overall a proven system.

I don't think a forum will work for auctions, maybe it's just me but I see issues already.

Last edited by sphelps; 12-02-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:01 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

I dont like the whole idea of an "auction" being conducted on a message board. Saying that,

If you go with secret bids, I would want to see an impartial 3rd party keeping track of the bids. I would suggust making the bidding process public with the bidders posting bids in a specific thread, and not relying on PMs to get the bids in.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I will not, as a matter of point, ever purchase from a company that auctions corals. It's just wrong. If you have something to sell, post it. If I want to buy it, I'll offer to buy it. If I miss out, I'll try to be quicker next time.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:26 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I've purchased corals from eBay before and think it's a great system. Items will almost always sell for a true market value by using an auction, provided it's done properly.
I'm not sure how someone can say it's wrong, sometimes someone may not know what the market value is for an item and it's a great way to figure it out.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:43 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

Thanks again for the input.

And I agree, publicly posting a bid seems like the right way to do it. My intention is to ship this order to a canreef member, not sell this locally or have someone local say they bought the pack. I am guessing a repeat wickedfrags customer will grab this! I need to have canreef sales to cover the monthly canreef sponsor costs.

I thought about the eBay approach, but then I would have no reason to post here - my thoughts were only Canreef Members could/would bid on the pack (I do not intend to advertise it elsewhere). While I appreciate some may not agree auction is the way to go, you may have an opportunity to get some great frags at a better price then would normally be extended.

So does auctioning some frags makse sense??? Or a frag pack? Would it just make more sense to update the website and market a site update??? Just thinking out loud.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:06 PM

seanoman is on a distinguished road

I think that doing the auction is a good idea. Whether it be a frag pack or individual makes no difference to me. Although for shipping purposes, you will want to send out more than just one frag, so a pack makes sense. With it being a pack full of rare corals, somebody is going to get themselves a great deal anyway. If it goes to high for anybody, then you just stop bidding on it. The advantage you have, is that they are not corals that you can really get anywhere else. So if someone wants them, they could be willing to pay top dollar for them.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:53 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

I agree on publicly bidding.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:36 AM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Public viewed bidding. It will make for much less overlap in bids you get to your message box.

People are going to complain since someone will likely wait until the last minute and post a price 1 dollar higher than the last bidder right when the auction closes. There really isn't anything you can do about that, just bid as high as you want and don't feel bad if someone out bids you.

I appreciate the opportunity you are trying to provide Canreef, plus this will draw people who want these corals to sign on to Canreef. It's a win/win situation in my opinion. Of course people are going to try and make it complicated, but that just seems to be the way of the internet forum.

I think it's a great idea Dave, and I know I'll be bidding!

Cheers,

Scott

Last edited by Scythanith; 12-03-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:42 AM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

Again, thanks for the feedback everyone.

Well, think I have decided on the the procedure. I will post a small and very wicked frag pack with a very reasonable price attached to it. The starting price and all subsequent bids will include shipping right to your door anywhere in Canada.

There will be a defined end date, and the date with the end date and time being determined by the canreef.com date and time. High bidder will have 48 hours to pay for the pack.

The high bid publicly submitted and posted in the specific/official auction thread in the wickedfrags forum before the auction end date will receive the frag pack. Bids/prices submitted via email and/or PM will NOT be accepted.

Price will include shipping to one address. While bidding with a fellow reefkeeper may help secure your favorite piece, in the event shipping multiple packages is required additional costs will apply. Also, should you care to add a few more frags to your order, my standard shipping container can hold apx. 8-10 SPS frags.

Stay tuned for the pics and the low low starting price! Cheers.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:53 PM

UnderTheSea is on a distinguished road

You mentioned this wasn't for locals but for Canreef members. What about those that are in southern ontario and are memebers?