Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > Lower Mainland

Old 09-14-2008, 07:28 PM

nikemikey is on a distinguished road
Default Warning About Ro/di Water!!!

I had quite the experience with Real Canadian Superstore this week. I just finished setting up my saltwater tank, using those 18L ro/di jugs of water since I don't own an ro/di filter. I bought 16 of the jugs and ended up using 12 to finish filling my tank. When I was finished with the jugs, I took them back to Superstore to get my $10 deposit back for each container. The lady behind the counter told me that because I had so many containers she could not give me my deposit back for any of them without a receipt. This made me quite angry, and didn't make any sense to me because I've never had a problem before returning multiple jugs to Superstore, so I asked to speak to the manager. The manager asked me what I needed so much water for and I told him it was for filling up my saltwater tank. He then told me that the water in the jugs was the same as tap water, indirectly calling me a liar, and said there was no way to return them without a receipt. Luckily my dad works at the Extra Foods in Sechelt and knows the manager at the store in Delta, so he straightened everything out for me and I was able to get my deposit back.

So for anyone who doesn't have an ro/di filter that uses those 18L jugs from Superstore.............KEEP YOUR RECEIPT!

Mike
Old 09-14-2008, 08:04 PM

Keri is on a distinguished road

Wow - what a P.I.T.A!

(heh - we shop at the Sechelt Extra foods - that's where we started getting out RODI water, until we bought our own filter)
Old 09-14-2008, 08:12 PM

You probably know my dad then. He's the owner/operator there. Pretty small town, but beautiful (especially Davis Bay). I'd love to live there one day
Old 09-14-2008, 08:16 PM

Keri is on a distinguished road

I've probably seen him Yeah - it is kind of beautiful isn't it? I like that it's close to Vancouver though, if it wasn't I might go a little stir-crazy!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:36 PM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

The reason you normally need a receipt to return water bottles, is for the sake of people stealing them and returning them for the deposit. I used to have Canadian springs deliver water to my house, and very often empties I put out for pickup would get stolen ....

Sure beats collecting cans. All the places here locally, you can't return more than two at one time.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:01 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikemikey View Post
I had quite the experience with Real Canadian Superstore this week. I just finished setting up my saltwater tank, using those 18L ro/di jugs of water since I don't own an ro/di filter. I bought 16 of the jugs and ended up using 12 to finish filling my tank. When I was finished with the jugs, I took them back to Superstore to get my $10 deposit back for each container. The lady behind the counter told me that because I had so many containers she could not give me my deposit back for any of them without a receipt. This made me quite angry, and didn't make any sense to me because I've never had a problem before returning multiple jugs to Superstore, so I asked to speak to the manager. The manager asked me what I needed so much water for and I told him it was for filling up my saltwater tank. He then told me that the water in the jugs was the same as tap water, indirectly calling me a liar, and said there was no way to return them without a receipt. Luckily my dad works at the Extra Foods in Sechelt and knows the manager at the store in Delta, so he straightened everything out for me and I was able to get my deposit back.

So for anyone who doesn't have an ro/di filter that uses those 18L jugs from Superstore.............KEEP YOUR RECEIPT!

Mike

Must be case specific, Calgary super stores don't need the recipt and can do any amount in a refund (did 9 at once). Then again a smile and a good conversation with the person at the front usually helps that cause out.
Levi
Old 09-14-2008, 10:19 PM

atcguy is on a distinguished road

hmmm and why havnt't you just bought an Ro unit??? Common sense in my mind....
Old 09-14-2008, 10:48 PM

Don't have the money for one right now........but I hope to have one soon
Old 09-14-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazerine View Post
The reason you normally need a receipt to return water bottles, is for the sake of people stealing them and returning them for the deposit. I used to have Canadian springs deliver water to my house, and very often empties I put out for pickup would get stolen ....

Sure beats collecting cans. All the places here locally, you can't return more than two at one time.
The lady at the counter explained to me after I was allowed to return the jugs that they have a huge problem with people stealing the empty jugs and printing out fake deposit labels. I can see where they're coming from, BUT, they should have a sign by the water bottles or something on the receipt telling you if you're returning more than 2 at a time, you NEED the receipt to get your deposit back. When I bought the jugs from them, the lady behind the till said nothing to me about keeping the receipt to bring all the jugs back
Old 09-15-2008, 04:35 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

16 jugs, $10/jug deposit. How much for the actual water? You know, I found my RO/DI on ebay, lightly used for $50. Prev owner daid maybe 500 gal through it, and was about right, TDS still really low. 700 in, 10 out

Umm, a tank or 5