Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-09-2008, 05:53 AM

Floop70 is on a distinguished road

I keep winning the chance to play again...
Old 04-09-2008, 04:11 PM

Rumika is on a distinguished road

My husband buys 2 x-lrgs everyday, one for himself and he brings me one back home and we have only won free coffee and donuts as well. I did here that someone had won a vehicle from around here.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:32 PM

workn2hard2day is on a distinguished road

Well, I don't feel so bad anymore. Yet again this am I get to play again.
Coffee and fish are my only "needless" expenses.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Yay. I won a doughnut.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:08 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

The best run I had was about a month ago where I won a free coffee with a free coffee. W00t!

Seems like the contest is done here in Cowtown though, every Timmie's I've been to in the last week has been out of rim cups, just back to regular cups. Last I checked though there were 30 of 35 cars won, 67 out 100 boats, several hundred gift cards left .. seems to me those remaining winning cups must still be out there somewhere?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:50 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

In garbage cans I bet,, it's amazing how many people throw out the cup without rolling the rim.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 04-15-2008, 10:41 PM

wetcoast is on a distinguished road

I don't participate in it :|

I spent some time working in Las Vegas working specifically on odds, and then spent 5 years around the world working for speciality insurance firms underwriting those promotions.

Not to be a downer or anything - but I'm better off hoping my ich infested kole tang is not going to spread it to any of the other tankmates. Least I know I have a 1:2 chance.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:53 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Well, you can't win if you don't buy a ticket or in this case if you don't buy a coffee. I like the coffee so if I win another coffee or a donut, it's just a happy bonus. Otherwise, if say I didn't care for coffee, I probably wouldn't bother just because of the promotion. But they say the odds of winning a coffee are 1 in 9, that's not too bad, could be worse.

I've done terrible in previous years maybe having won one coffee throughout the entire promotion, but this year I did ok, think I made off with about 6 or 7 free coffees (and my personal favourite, the two in a row, that probably won't ever happen again!) My strategy of drinking 12 XL double-doubles daily finally started to pay off!

Last edited by Delphinus; 04-15-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:59 PM

wetcoast is on a distinguished road

Actually, it is illegal for a company to force this upon you to buy something, if you look at the small print there will be terms and conditions that state "No Purchase Required". You will have to send them a reasonably drawn facsimile of the cup (which could mean dipping a piece of paper in oil and sending it to them) and then you can be entered into the contest - they are required to send you a game piece after that. I've been involved first hand where this very rule was challenged, dirty, but when the promotion is a marketing tactic there has to be some sort of imposed limits on what a corporation does.

(not being involved in that industry anymore i could care less about it - but know that if you really want to crack the system check out some of the many forums that decipher winning combinations on pieces, and release the info to the wild to let you have a better chance at winning - we couldn't stop those people either - believe it or not some people make a living off of it!)

either way, at the end of it all - yer all gettin' caffinated, which is obviously the most important thing of all!
Old 04-15-2008, 11:06 PM

Oh I realize that "no purchase necessary" thing and I am not surprised there are people with enough free time to do stuff like that. I dunno. To me it's just fun. Lightning *can* strike apparently, but expecting it to happen is a setup for disappointment, and that's not fun, so I figure the thing to do is just fanatasize for a few minutes, then drink your coffee and move on with life.

I don't know what it is about TH coffee but I really do enjoy it. Once in a while I'll get a real doozie of a coffee that's undrinkable but for the most part they get it right. So often bought coffee's are this sort of daisy-chained sludge where the servers just pour what's left of one pot into the next. Coffee isn't like sourdough, I think when people do that it wrecks the coffee! I guess some people just don't care but I can sure tell when that happens. I'll crave a good brew but a bad brew just makes me gag. I think there's coffee in my office that was around when I was in elementary school. Coffee is for drinking, not for speculating what it was like "back in olden days when this coffee was young. Oh the stories this coffee could tell, if coffee could tell stories." Ew!