Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-17-2007, 01:48 AM

IceTurf is on a distinguished road

does the mh bulb matter? T5's are just fluorescent's, what makes them better then the other 10k fluorescent bulbs?
Old 10-17-2007, 01:51 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

First understand there's lots and lots of variables (tank depth, clarity of water, bulb spectrum, efficiency, etc, etc) but to get an idea of total wattage required for rough estimate purposes of coming up with a budget for lighting a tank with photosynthetic corals, use 5 watts/gallon.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:53 AM

hmm sorry i should fill out what tank I'm gonna run. I have your very basic 10 gallon tank W/cover+lighting system (basic bulb input, think round) -two 20W versions of those bulbs http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod.../1/product.web
would be about 20% shy of what I need, which I can work with-
BTW, how well do bio-filters work for nano's, I know that skimmers are prefered but would a good bio filter work?

Last edited by IceTurf; 10-17-2007 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:00 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Wish you luck, as might find a tank that size for starting out and then as a hardcore reef to be a bit of a challenge.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:02 AM

lol, yea "the bigger the better" i'll start with softies first then work my way up (;, i just didn't want to waste money on bulbs that would be useless. So, basically two 20w's of those bulbs might be able to do it?
Old 10-17-2007, 05:11 AM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

I started out with pretty much the same setup you will be and I think I've come through ok. 10 gallon tanks are shallow so with 2 of those 20 watters you will be able to keep leathers such as finger or toodstools. You will be able to keep zoanthids, palys and ricordias etc. You should manage with green star polyps and zenia. All of which are good beginner corals. Do me a favour though, stick with only the easiest variety until you can upgrade your lighting. Good luck, and welcome to the addiction.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 10-17-2007, 02:45 PM

tks for the tips and its nice to be in. I'll definitally start with some pulsing Zenia.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:09 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

T5's are fluorescent bulbs, correct. I think the reason for their popularity is that they are much thinner, and don't block nearly as much of the light reflection. Which brings me to my next point. T5 set-ups without individual reflectors are pretty average as well (i.e. not suitable for SPS).

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 10-17-2007, 03:14 PM

hmm, makes sense.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

t5 can grow sps but they have to be high output H/O also I think there are alot of factors that come in with an sps tank not just the lights like stability, dosing, and other factors. IMO t5 are awesome but for the cost of bulb replacement on t5 versus MH I went with MH. I've seen many tanks with t5 and they have 5-8 bulbs on a set up versus 2-3 bulbs on an MH set up also HO t5 gives a nice colour to the tank because you can use so many different bulbs on 1 diy fixture from pink to blue to purple even greenish.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips