Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 09-06-2007, 11:40 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

What have you got coming?... and if its $600 I'm going to thumb my nose at you

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 09-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Heh, come in Greg, it'll be worth your while.

A bit of a teaser: Hand picked corals...
Old 09-07-2007, 10:12 PM

Tyson is on a distinguished road

I'm with you on that point, i can't stand driving to the north for a look at what just came in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital-audiophile View Post
This makes me 50% happy, I really liked Big Al's, allthough I think the main reason were the awesome people that worked there. The 50% that makes me angry is that it is in the NE!!

When BA was here before it was nice and close to home, does Calgary really need another fish store in the north quadrant of the city.

Perhaps this was the best location they could get, but you think their marketing people would have looked at the demographics of Calgary and figured out that a store in the south would be a win, just becuase a lot of people in the south including myself hate having to drive across this stupid city to get to a LFS.

Sorry for the rant, I am happy they are back, like any other LFS they have their strong points and weak points but it will be nice to see them back.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:45 AM

Big Al's BC is on a distinguished road

We are glad to hear that the Calgary franchisee finally found a new location. That city is growing in leaps and bounds!
We love Calgary!

Big Al's BC
Old 09-09-2007, 04:37 AM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Quote:
Who's interested in some $600 Japanese Brains? I'll bring them in on prepaid orders
Can I scrub tanks on weekends to pay for one Albert?

Seriously though, what information on Calgary's population would lead any fish vendor to believe that having another store open up in the noth east would be more benificial than the south end? Are there more people in the north east that keeps aquariums?

I'm glad to have more competition and selection I guess. But its getting to the point where there are so many stores up there that I haven't even been to all of them? I don't even know where Red coral or Ocean's is!
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 09-09-2007, 08:21 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny zubot View Post
Can I scrub tanks on weekends to pay for one Albert?

Seriously though, what information on Calgary's population would lead any fish vendor to believe that having another store open up in the noth east would be more benificial than the south end? Are there more people in the north east that keeps aquariums?

I'm glad to have more competition and selection I guess. But its getting to the point where there are so many stores up there that I haven't even been to all of them? I don't even know where Red coral or Ocean's is!
I have to drive almost an hour (well 40 mins) to get to these stores...quit your belly aching over driving from the south to the north

Never been to Red coral, but oceans is a couple blocks further west of Wais...or Peters drive in...mmm rootbeer shake

Old 09-09-2007, 01:48 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

Depending on traffic it can take 30-40 mins to get up to the north stores for someone like tony who is in the deep south without direct access to the deerfoot. That's my only saving grace is that I can hop right on the DF and get up north but even at that it still takes me 20+ minutes to get to any of the stores in this city.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 09-09-2007, 02:32 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

From Cranston it takes about .5 hours to Wai's and Golds. The NW stores are just out of the question for me though.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 09-09-2007, 02:59 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

When I was there last weekend it took me 45 minutes to get up north, and that is a lot of time and gas. Even with the Deer Foot there are now more drivers on the road then when I lived there, and there is so much construction that it almost negates the benifits of having a highway.

Elite was the simplest to get to, but still a 15-20 minute drive for me. I'm with you Danny, its just to far, and it makes many NW and NE stores inaccessible.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:35 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Yeah, but, you live in Didsbury. When you choose to shop in a different city, you take on the choice that it will take an hour or whatever in each direction to get there.

If there was some decent spread to the stores, then it would be a matter of "I could do this store one day, a couple days later, try another" and so on. But the fact is now I'd have to make a day trip out of it, and frankly, the selection IN the stores on any given day is usually disappointing unless you luck out and come in on a day right after they landed a shipment. So it's hardly worth your while to do so unless you have advance knowledge of what's in stock on a given day. And well, nobody posts that info, so you gamble.

I haven't been to Red Coral yet either. That store is seriously an hour's drive in one direction assuming traffic is GOOD. The traffic in the city and the road layout is horrid. The roads were fine when we were a city of 300,000. Now that we're a million plus and using the SAME roads, it's a little different. (Thank you Al, for making the 90's a "Let's do nothing!" decade. And that money the feds gave you for infrastructure, I can't thank you enough - not a day goes by where I don't notice that the luxury boxes at the Saddledome don't make my day just a little bit brighter! Whee!)

Bellyaching? Sure, I guess I am. I feel it's a bit of a legitimate complaint though. I feel there decent room to open a store in the south. I'm sure Big Al's location will serve them well. I just wish they would have picked a location closer to me. Don't we all feel this way once in a while though?