Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 08-05-2007, 07:53 PM

AndyL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AndyL
Default Camping - Vancouver island - Tofino/Ucluelet

Hey folks,

Looking for advice... After a decade, it's time for a real vacation

Planning to head out to check out Pacific Rim national park, problem is - we're going to be arriving over the labour day long weekend (scheduling; can't leave until friday night). And the mutt's coming with - which eliminates most of the national park campgrounds...

Any recommendations on places to camp that are more likely to be still available / reservable? Or places to avoid like the plague?

Thanks in advance,

Andy
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:06 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
Hey folks,

And the mutt's coming with - which eliminates most of the national park campgrounds...
whats the mutt got to do with not staying in a provincial campground? won't find any national parks here with campgrounds.

anyays there are a coupld places right in tofino, probably to lait in the year to get a site but worth a try. as for provincal campgrounds, nothing real close to tofino but there are a few befor you get into the pacific rim. so it is very limited camping out there so start calling and cross you fingers.

here are the 3 out there
http://www.tofinotime.com/main.htm?d...Pfrm.htm~BDfrm

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:16 PM

According to parks canada - there are 3 campgrounds in pacific rim - but none allow dogs... (Your site refers to greenpoint - which is one of them) Crystal cove won't take reservations for the long weekend. Bella pacifica - Haven't heard back by phone or email yet..
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:10 AM

fishmaster is on a distinguished road

I would highly recomend Toquart Bay. They have a forest service site there and I would think there would be sites avaliable labour day. Dog's are o.k. It's right in the broken Islands, very well protected, great fishing and kyaking depending what you're into. I just got home from there. Not sure of contact info, but you shoud find something if you google it.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:19 AM

Mik_101 is on a distinguished road

We went to toffino the last few years and every time we went Bella pacica with out booking anything so try your luck ther.
I herd that Surfer junction usaaly has avalible spots.
- Green candy cane
- green zoas
- GSP
- Fake percula clown
- Diadem dottyback
adding a 70w MH with 8 LED
Old 08-07-2007, 04:58 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Mik..what about your promise on the spell checker?

Andy, I hope you can find a spot out there, we have stayed out there but only in motels. I know the Wickannish really spoils the dogs....never been able to afford a visit there yet tho...

http://www.fivestaralliance.com/luxu...FRpohgodsi9jtQ
Old 08-07-2007, 10:40 PM

LMAO... And here I thought I was going for a 5 star resort - i've broken down and started hunting for a tent trailer for the trip...

Maybe if I sell a few vital organs I can stay at the wickannish
Old 08-14-2007, 09:32 PM

Murminator is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Murminator

Stay in Nanimo and drive, we where there 2 years ago and from the people running in the campgrounds pretty tough to get a site from may-oct. They were fully booked for each and everyday between the dates. Dunno if BC is like Alberta but everyone has money, everyone has campers, quads, big lifted trucks. We have a tough time finding anywhere to camp 3 years ago just show up at the lake and get a spot. We have friends that sit down 1st of May and call the campgrounds make all there reservations for the whole summer and if they cannot go they cancel well in advance to get there money back. Me I have a couple favorite random camping spots in the mountains where I camp and quad there is no fighting for spots and it's free

I reserve the right to hijack any thread I want to!!

My carbon footprint is bigger than your carbon footprint !!!!
Old 08-14-2007, 10:26 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Ditto on what Murray said about staying in/around Nanaimo or even Port Alberni (Sproat Lake is pretty nice but PA doesn't really have much to offer). Likely everything in Tofino will be booked up so if you don't already have reservations, don't expect to cruise in and find a place. Its insane there during the summer and most people that go, make their reservations for the next year while they're there.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:08 AM

Dragonsteeth is on a distinguished road

If you don't have any luck try staying on the east coast and going to Hornby Island. Tribune bay campsite (http://www.tribunebay.com/) and Brad's Dads Land are tow campsite there. TB is at a fantastic beach. Dogs are good at both. H.I is a great place and if you have kids it is fantastic.
You run the risk of fog, fog and more fog in Pac Rim.