Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-25-2002, 05:42 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road
Default backup power supplies

Oh the weather outside is frightful, but inside its so delightful. Unless of course the power goes out and I'm not there :shock: . Anyone have one of these things? With the wind of late I'm feeling rather anxious about the power going out and my tank getting nuked. Has anyone seen those ones for computers at costco? I was thinking of maybe getting one of those but would it run a powerhead, heater and return pump??

Any info appreciated

Christy

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 12-25-2002, 06:17 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

ya they would for about 5 min.. they are not designed to run even a computer for longer than it would take you to save your work and shut down. your best bet for bang for you buck would be to go to costco and buy a 600 watt power inverter for 78.00.. then you hook it to your car and let it run and you can power a heater a power head and maby a light or two.. I am looking at getting two of them myself..

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-25-2002, 06:45 AM

zulu_principle is on a distinguished road

I have a 300 watt inverter and think its worth the dough, I also have a small generator.

But, with the money that you spend and the cost of renting a small generator, I have never checked for renting inverters, the generator doesn't make sense.
Old 12-25-2002, 07:06 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Well if I'm in the house when the power goes out I have a battery operated air pump and can throw some wood in the woodstove to keep everyone happy. I'm looking into getting something for when I'm not there (which is just pretty much this time of year when I'm visiting my folks for a few days).

Thanks for the info tho.
Christy

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 12-25-2002, 07:15 AM

zulu_principle is on a distinguished road

If you have an alarm in your house you can get them to alert you with a power outage so that you can send someone over to power things up.

Thats what I do with my fish room.
Old 12-25-2002, 07:44 AM

reefburnaby is on a distinguished road

Christy,

IMHO depending on the types of corals you have, your tank can stay alive for short power outages (say less than 4 hours). I have a 500VA UPS and it is hooked up to one of my main pumps. This particular pump pumps water through my refugium, CC skimmer, calcium reactor and provides minor circultation in my tank. So, this is a really important pump that needs to keep running, but it only draws about 15VA (its a maxijet 900 driving a close loop system). So, 500VA / 15VA....that's about 33 hours. So, that pump will run for 33 hours on a single UPS charge. The heating problem is not a really a big concern since we have a gas fireplace in the same room.

IMHO the UPS is used for extended power outages (i.e. longer than 4 hours), an inverter with a car is probably not a good option. Maybe a small Honda generator would be more appropriate.

- Victor.
Old 12-25-2002, 07:01 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefburnaby
Christy,

an inverter with a car is probably not a good option. Maybe a small Honda generator would be more appropriate.

- Victor.
what would make you say that Victor? a car can idel for more than 24 hours on a tank of gas and if you have a large enuf inverter you will be more than fine. we used to leave our vans running up north 24/7 and we would fill up with gas every couple days or more depending on the driving we also did.. for some one who doesent want to drop over 1000.00 on a generator a inverter makes perfect sence.. for a quiet generator that would power a full circut and run more than a couple hours on a tank would be over 2000 bucks.. not practical for most of us..

here is a cheeper generator that would be nice

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...=1040845750173

and here is one that I would love to have
http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...=1040845748606

there is a middle of the road one that will power a 6500 amps and has a 8 hour run time @ 50% load.. this one is 2500.00 and would be a very nice choice for running your whole tank plus the lights and a electric heater in the house.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-25-2002, 07:38 PM

fishboy is on a distinguished road

Last power outage here I went and bought a 700 watt inverter from canadian tire and 100 foot extension cord to get from the driveway to my tank. Total cost was about $130 and when hooked to my car it can run my return pump and heater. Of course the power came on 10 minutes after I hooked it up and I haven't needed it since . It is nice to know it's in the basement if I ever needed again though .

\"Daddy, when will the tank be finished?\"

- My daughter.
Old 12-25-2002, 11:59 PM
Gold Member

One_Divided is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to One_Divided

I bought a 600w inverter for my Dad for X-mas.. He was talking about getting one but never did.. So in the end of my scheme, I get a present for him and use of the inverter at the same time heheh.. :twisted:
Old 12-26-2002, 05:21 AM

ron101 is on a distinguished road

There was an article in one of the last few FAMA magazines written by a fellow who had been planning to market a switched battery backup system. For whatever reason he decided not to persue it but he did say a power inverter, a deep cycle car battery, and a 120VAC battery charger is a good approximation. Just doesn't have the automatic switching feature.