Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 11-07-2002, 08:01 PM
UnderWorldAquatics

Ive just been reading the threads so far but now Ill give my 2cents... Im a VW guy I have a very nicely built 92 16valve Gti, about 215hp and very fun to drive. VW trannies are crap!!!!!!! Ive blown 2 recently and now have a custom built race tranny with straight cut gears, vw trannies are rivited together and are 2nd gear bombs waiting to go off... if you get it rebuilt get a bolt kit to replace the rivets itll make it stronger.... as for the G60 tranny... its probably your best bet as it is one of the strongest trannies VW ever built. when you said around $1300 for the G60 tranny was that a fresh rebuild. Im buddies with a lot of performance VW shops and $1200 is for a well rebuilt tranny, like new. if you have a VR6 you can get a VW motorsports tranny for $4000 sequential 6speed with no clutch very fun to drive
Old 11-08-2002, 02:06 AM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

This discussion leads me to suggest the following:

For those of you haven't read it, flip through the pages of Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki. While the information regarding realestate investments and so forth isn't pertinent, the theories behind acquiring assets as opposed to liabilities are sure to open some eyes, or at least instigate some contemplation.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 11-08-2002, 05:34 AM

Canadian Man is on a distinguished road

Canadian

Well of course I couldnt agree with you more.
That's why I drive a POS old car that I got when I graduated from Highschool and own a rather expensive house. Of course if I could afford a new car it would be a new wolksvagen but that's a diffrent story. And I can't afford one cause I got a REEF :shock:

I feel pity when I see guys my age spending and worrying about having a new car when they should be thinking about other things.

Oh well.....makes me laugh
-----------------------------------
www.cakerybakery.ca
Old 11-09-2002, 06:54 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I basicaly just needed some space to vent some frustration. I have elected to rebuild my transmission, unfortunately at expense, however in the end I feel it will be worthwhile. Even if I were to unload the car, I am honour bound to disclose what problems I know about the car, or to fix them so that an unsuspecting buyer will not face problems down the road that would be in part on my own conscience. If I spend the money, well what I will have is some peace of mind, plus, I will get my car back that is basically a blast to drive.

Circumstances beyond my control brought me to this point. Well ... I don't know. Nobody forced me to buy a used car. Although, they kind of did. I -had- a good car that was reliable and within my means. But it was taken away from me. I wouldn't have bought this car when I did if it wasn't for that.

But, I feel it is a waste of time to dwell on how a person got somewhere. Rather, they should focus on where they go from there. This is my philosophy, and it works for me. Well, sometimes. I am tired, and I am not certain I am making any sense.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:12 AM

Canadian Man is on a distinguished road

Tony,
If you were reffering to me I didnt mean any bad feelings to be had by what I said.
I should have been more clear.
Canadian just brought us something that makes me laugh sometimes.

Dont forget I'm only 23. :shock: So when I was saying what I did, I ment that alot of the young guys that I work with make me laugh cause they live at home and all they have to worry about is what garbage to spend their next pay check on rather than doing something smart with a small portion of their earnings and maybe saving it. Very opposite of who I am.

So I was kinda not even refering to your origional post (yes off topic) but just refering t a brain laugh in my mind. I suppose I should have explained it better rather then assuming that people can read my mind.

Sorry
-----------------------------------
www.cakerybakery.ca
Old 11-10-2002, 12:26 AM

Tau2301 is on a distinguished road

I seen a sig somewhere that read;

I spend half my money on a reef tank and the rest I wasted.

or something like that.
there is an equal and opposite revision.
Old 11-26-2002, 05:07 AM

Shadetree is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Shadetree

Tony,

Just to make you feel a little better, in August this year one of my work dump trucks had a "mishap". 1997 Chevy 3500 6.5 Turbo Diesel 5 spd. While cruising down Lougheed Highway there was a lound band and it died and coasted to the side of the road. It broke the crankshaft. $18,700.00 LATER it is back on the road again. The truck has only 140,000 kms on it and was only a couple months out of warranty, it had not met the warranty k but time had expired. The official word from Chevrolet Canada and the head diesel mechanics locally was....are you ready for this.....POOR DESIGN. I now have a 1997 6.5 TD with a new factory engine, new turbo, new injectors, new water pump, new clutch and new alternator for sale if interested. My sister has a 1999 VW golf that has given her huge headaches already. It cracked the oil pan with 7,000 k and was not covered under warranty. Under warranty they have had to remove and realign the engine twice though. Lastly, non serviceable parts are becoming more and more common in todays vehicles as they become over engineered, the six speed tranny in my 99 Ford Powerstroke diesel truck is worth over $7000. As a side note, my 99 Ram 2500 4x4 quad cab with snow plow has given ZERO problems in 4 years as of today. This truck towed a 5000 pound trailer for 1.5 years and plows snow every year, go figure.

Scott
Old 11-26-2002, 05:37 AM
Gold Member

One_Divided is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to One_Divided

I own a rusty 1984 chevy celeberty that's been in my family for more then 10 years. It has 230,500 kms on it, Insurence cost me 3 times what the car is worth, but do you see me complaining? Never! I can't get over the amount some people spend on their cars. Mind boggling!
Old 11-26-2002, 05:53 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Divided
I can't get over the amount some people spend on their cars. Mind boggling!
Almost as bad as reef tanks, right??

BTW, Scott, haven't seen you in here for a long time!!
Old 11-26-2002, 05:54 AM
Administrator

titus has disabled reputation

Hello,

Quote:
Time for a S2000 eh.

Oh wow, no kidding, Titus!! What cool cars. Problem is, then I need a truck too, just for hauling around all my JUNK that I seem to accumulate. Boat stuff, aquarium stuff, the aquariums themselves ...
Ha ya the S2000 is a bad boy. 8) You can get a Pilot for your larger loads.

But for me I'd rather drive a cheap car and spend all my money buying houses. That's the way to go!

Titus