Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-18-2006, 10:57 PM

jgoldsney is on a distinguished road
Default Help me pick my fish....

Well it seems that my Regal Tang has disapeared since the tank swap and my beautiful sail fin tang decided to turn himself in to fish jerky by jumping up on to my eurobrace. Sooooo I am now down to 2 clowns an alge blenney and a clown goby.

I am looking for suggestions for some new fish....here are some thoughts that I have but I am open to suggestions. (tank is a 150Gal Corner)

Flame Angel - Definetly a stunner but will it be a problem if I get a clam in the future

School of green chromis (7 - 9) - Kind of a boring looking fish but on the plus side they are cheap and a fairly large school might look cool)

School of Yellow Tailed Damsels - Ya know the more I think about this the better it seems...the fish are beautifull & cheap and hey tank maintenance would be fun (those of you who have recieved an unexpected nip will know what I mean)

School of Anthias - Pretty but possibly difficult to care for???

Psychidelic Manderin - Cool fish but will need some sort of fuge to provide food (fill the overflow with reef rubble and some LR to seed???)

Ok fire away with your reccomendations...

Joel
Old 04-18-2006, 11:06 PM

niloc16 is on a distinguished road

personally i have not had luck with anthias, refuse to try again. could not get them to eat. tried everything. yellowtail school would look really good. what about a school of decor (purple) firefish. gorgeous to look at docile and make an awesome addition. i love mine. still trying to figure out if i can mix families without problems though

my tank setup
Old 04-18-2006, 11:29 PM

TheReefGeek is on a distinguished road

I love my 5 lyretail anthias, I have kept 3 others in a smaller tank before, all ate like pigs.

What about a coral beauty? Or a foxface? Or a yellow tang?

Old 04-18-2006, 11:35 PM

niloc16 is on a distinguished road

coral beauty's are really nice but if you are getting a flame angel as well i would place them both in at the same time so they have time to setup territories. if you do them seperate they may battle. the flame angel is more hardy then the coral beauty and bicolor angels. yellow tang should be placed last. they are really aggressive and will become the ruler, so anything docile should be placed first. i have a flame angel and it is my favorite fish. they say they can be aggressive but he is at the bottom of the chain in my tank. thought about a sixline wrasse?

my tank setup
Old 04-19-2006, 03:11 AM

Bartman is on a distinguished road

The Yellow Tailed Damsels look nice but will they get aggressive?

Old 04-19-2006, 03:32 AM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

Flame angels and actually most Angels are hit and miss with clams. 50-50 chance at best. So far - knocking furiously on my wooden head - my Goldflake Angel has not touched my clams.
I love firefish and have 2 helfrichi (sp) that are just stunning but they can be jumpers.
Yellow Tangs always add a great splash of vibrant colour but as stated can be aggressive so do add last if you decide to go that route. Mine is in my SOB tank with the bi-colour dottyback.
Gobies are also very nice fish and the relationship that some have with shimp is, IMO, one of the most fascinating to watch.
Niger triggers or blue throat triggers, although also not always invert safe, are also very nice colourful fish with a lot of personality.
Bangii Cardinal fish are also very visible fish and if you are lucky you have the added bonus of getting a mated pair that there is actually a chance of rearing the young and being able to either keep or sell them.
I have a yellow headed jawfish in my 12g Nano that is just beautiful colours but is quite shy.
HTH
Old 04-19-2006, 03:24 PM

jgoldsney is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input....

I have had a yellow tang and a coral beauty in my last 2 tanks and I guess I am kind of bored with them.

I loved my Sailfin tang and have had a Powder Brown in the past that had an awesome personality. My one concern is the size of the tank...I am not sure that I have enough swimming room to keep a tang happy.

Stll undecided but hey I am still broke so Iit doesn't matter yet lol
Old 04-19-2006, 04:55 PM

Kabong is on a distinguished road

I'll secong the lyretail anthias. Gorgeous fish!
Old 04-19-2006, 06:24 PM

J Feez is on a distinguished road

I'm not too sure how a school of yellow tailed blue damsels act towards other tankmates, but I had to get rid of my single yellow tailed blue damsel because all he did was take chunks out of everyone elses fin's.

A school of Green Chromis would look pretty neat though.

39 gallon Reef (39lbs of LR)
1 - Coral Beauty
1 - False percula clown
1 - Cleaner Shrimp
4 - Algea Eating Hermits
2 - Turbo Snails
Old 04-19-2006, 07:55 PM

guysmiley is on a distinguished road
Default third the anthias

I've got 1 male lyretail with 3 females. Great looking schooling fish with nice color. They also hang out in the upper water column wheras all my other fish hang out on near the reef.

Garrick.