Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Q&A

Old 04-18-2006, 06:02 AM

aquanot is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to aquanot
Talking

I know, why don't we put everybody in jail and then let the honest people out one at a time.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:55 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

I'd just like to be able to post pics and get email notifications to sell my things.

I guess I'm going to have to link to another site.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:56 PM

TheReefGeek is on a distinguished road

I think the 25 post rule will turn a lot of people away from the site, so the loss of those people is worse than any gains there is from the rule.

It might also make people just post 25 messages of crap so they can sell their stuff.

And for a person getting out of the hobby who wants to sell their stuff, they don't want to post 25 times, they want out of the hobby, and there are many users who might want their used equipment but now they won't be able to!

To me this is bad news for canreef.

Old 04-18-2006, 03:04 PM

This could also explain why I have been seeing a lot of for sale posts for "friends" - probably because their friend doesn't want to post 25 times just to sell their stuff. So there are ways around the rule anyways, so I say get rid of it.

Old 04-18-2006, 03:58 PM

jess is on a distinguished road

Now your going to have people like me making useless posts like this one just to get my post count up Since I'm relatively new to the hobby (1.5 years) I find myself not having alot to offer. What I have found though is that the buy and sell section is a great way to meet fellow reefers and have one on one conversations when making the transaction. I've got to see a few great tanks in person because of this.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:41 PM

Willow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Willow Send a message via Yahoo to Willow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess
Now your going to have people like me making useless posts like this one just to get my post count up Since I'm relatively new to the hobby (1.5 years) I find myself not having alot to offer. What I have found though is that the buy and sell section is a great way to meet fellow reefers and have one on one conversations when making the transaction. I've got to see a few great tanks in person because of this.
try the local forums to hook up with other reefers.

90 Gallon LPS tank - Challice, Acans, Favia, Diplo and Zoos
125 Gallon SPS Coming Soon!
Old 04-18-2006, 05:33 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Well, the 25 post minimum rule is a bit of a trial run anyhow. Whether it stays permanent or not is going to depend on how people like it overall. But even as such, nothing is ever cast in stone and people shouldn't feel as if they need to resent anything when a rule is put in place. The only reason any "rules" are put in place is to try to improve the quality of life of the board in general, and if that's not happening as a result, well, then, we'd want to re-evaluate.

But as far as 25 posts go ... it really doesn't take that long to accumulate 25 posts ... I don't understand the argument that newcomers are afraid to post. They shouldn't be. Besides, how can you be afraid to say "hi" and introduce yourself but not be afraid to sell an item? I think there's an inconsistency there in that argument. If the board is unwelcoming to newcomers to come and post and ask questions, then that is a separate issue that we would want to look at. What can we do as a board, to make it more open to posting to newcomers?
Old 04-18-2006, 05:44 PM

I think splitting the Reef section into 2 sections would help. One for introductions and newbie questions, another section for more advanced reefer questions.

This way newbies could post what they want without fear of feeling dumb or whatnot, because they have their own section.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:33 PM

zulu_principle is on a distinguished road

As an advertiser, a member of canreef, and someone that tells a few "new" people about this site I tend to agree with Ivy.

I'm not sure what the motive for the rule is, but on countless occassions I have heard all too often about, people not following through on sales, not answering PM, etc. and fear not, this has also happened to me. I also like Sam's idea about time, not postings.

I also agree that this is not a buy and sell site, but if that feature were not available, thats alot of what I send people to canreef for; because the local guys hang out here and there are always some deals to be had.

People are not "afraid" to post, but this is not a club where you have to stand up and say, Hi, my name is Wendell, blah, blah, blah. In my mind its a forum for research, discussion and to find out what Brad's and Rich's tank's look like.

Anyways, my two cents.

Hi, my name is Wendell.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu_principle
In my mind its a forum for research, discussion and to find out what Brad's and Rich's tank's look like.
Wendell you crack me up sometimes.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.