Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 02-27-2006, 04:10 PM

mr_alberta is on a distinguished road

This is a world of free speech, however, this board is not "the world." For example, lets say that in your house you don't allow smoking. Now, am I allowed to come into your house and smoke and do whatever else you don't allow in your house? Most likely not. The same thing applies here. We are all "visitors" in Titus' "house" so we must adhere to his rules.

Just my point of view.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:13 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

This keeps coming back to bite me in the butt, and thats not my intention... I think a lot of this is a big misunderstanding on my part. And IMO , I have done nothing wrong . That's all I need to know really.

Have yourselves a lovely, wonderful happy Monday.

Last edited by OCDP; 02-27-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:20 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_alberta
Just my point of view.
I wish more people would see it your way Harv. Its seems a lot of people nowadays think they have the right to do whatever they feel like.
Respect seems to have made a hasty retreat from peoples values over the last decade or so.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:32 PM

midgetwaiter is on a distinguished road

Okay well I suppose the lesson for me here is that I should not post when half asleep without reading very carefully.

One thing to get out of the way, I speak for myself only, not my employer in any way, etc.

I do take things that people say in threads about my workplace rather personally, I am proud of the work I do. I don't really have a problem with people stating their opinions (good or bad) about about the store. Ocassionally you get some useful feedback and more often you get a chance to address someone's concerns on a particular subject. The policy here is to keep such threads off the board and I have no complaint there, your board, your rules.

What got me annoyed was not that the thread existed or what people had to say, I never complained about either. I have my own post in there that addresses some of the comments I thought were worth discussing, others I ignored. The thing that got me was what was pointed out by another member, a thread about one local shop was immediately guided by a moderator where the one about Riverfront had gone on for 4 days and 3 pages. Your policy is your policy, whatever it may be. It would just be nice to see it applied equally.

Where I went wrong on the other hand is what I posted last night. The intent was lightharted and a little sarcastic, which is often my manner. Unfortunately this intent often does not come across correctly in a board post. I should know this by now but I still do make this mistake sometimes. The addition of a smiliey or something could have avoided this.

I would like to offer a big apology to the moderators and Delphinus particularly. While I do think that there was a problem in the way the policy was applied I had no reason to question your ethics or motivation publicly. I can only say that while that was more or less exactly what I did, it was not my intent and I apologize.

Last edited by midgetwaiter; 02-27-2006 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:48 PM

whonow is on a distinguished road

this is now turning into an apology to the moderator thread??
Old 02-27-2006, 04:52 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

Peharps my perception is skewed, but how is talking about LFS's in either good or bad ways, any different than debating the pros and cons of something, like say skimmers.

ie. - Coralife are the best! no they suck! Use Prizm! ... and so forth. Same sh** different pile if you ask me?

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2

Last edited by digital-audiophile; 02-27-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Because I don't see Prizm or Coralife coming after us for slandering their product. A LFS owner on the other hand......

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:29 PM

saltynuts is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to saltynuts
Default wow

this is going to get ugly. i think the mods are doing a good job.
its hard to watch everyting when you have a life( please don,t take that the wrong way) i.e. job, kids. i must be a bad monday!
ad it is titus,s house his rules and thank you for letting us in
euro-reef rs100.
no more school so i,ll be able to keep this one!
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61329
Old 02-27-2006, 06:34 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

The theme of "why isn't this policy applied equally" is recurring. Again and again, it comes up. Well if you had this to say here, why didn't you say it there.

The only thing I can say is that I am only human, there are only so many hours in a day, I have a job and I have a family and I have 4 tanks to tend to. I cannot, and I will not, ever, be able to catch every thread. Point blank, I don't even READ every thread on this board any more. There was a time that I did, but it's simply not possible anymore.

I didn't catch the Riverfront thread until it was way into the 3rd page. At that point, I saw midgetwaiter had posted a reply from Riverfront's perspective. In the interest of "free speech" I wanted him (or her, I don't know who you are) to have his say as well. I thought his remarks were fair and appropriate, so I let the thread be.

When it finally degraded into complaints about the leaking roof, we realized we had let the thread go on too far, and the thread was closed. But it goes to show you, when you open the door just a little, someone will barge right on through it.

That's why this time, I just had a few minutes before calling it a day, and I saw ... yet another "let's talk about the vendors" threads. So I commented on it. I thought I was reasonably polite and I said my opinion on it. I didn't close the thread then, I only commented on it. But my comments get immediate rebukes and admonishment. It feels like a double standard to me. So yes I closed that thread in the end but only because it became about me. Well, I didn't start that, but I can and will end that, when it happens.

I am just one person in the hobby. I come to Canreef to learn more about my hobby, to see what others are doing, and to just enjoy in the camaraderie with others who share my interest in reefs. But because I volunteered to help with the administration of the board, apparently my actions must be beyond reproach. Well I'm only human folks. Expect me to screw up from time to time. I try to be polite to folks, and I only ask to be treated in kind in return.

I really don't know what more I can say here. I guess, midgetwaiter, I see your apology. I thank you for consideration that you put into this. Same for you, Scott. I honestly am a nice person in real life, at least I think I am. I try to be on friendly terms with all people and I try to keep my motives transparent. I apologize for being the big bad moderator and I apologize for not being able to keep on top of all things and when it was your workplace that was affected I apologize I wasn't able to get a lid on it sooner.

Peace to everyone. I hope.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:00 AM

Tarolisol is on a distinguished road

I think Tony's a nice guy
And I like Oceans as well.

Back in the good ole days