Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-28-2006, 04:49 PM

saltynuts is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to saltynuts
Default phosban reactor

does anyone use this. i have been doing some reading on RC and have read nothing but good things. can anyone give me their pros and cons.
i would like to learn more before i take the leap!
i dont want to start a battle. any info would be great
thanks for the time.
euro-reef rs100.
no more school so i,ll be able to keep this one!
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61329
Old 01-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I have one. They work great, nice flow through the reactor and it really maximizes the efficiency of the media. I was using ROWAphos in it but was having problems with RTN and losses so currently I am running carbon in it, which is working out really well. I purchased some phosban this weekend to try so hopefully it works out better than the rowaphos.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:00 PM

saltynuts is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to saltynuts
Default reactor

what type or carbon are you useing. i have read that you can run two reactors one with phosban and one with carbon is that a road you would look at going.if so what are your thoughts. the carbon is just to polish the water right. sorry i just want to under stand this thing!
euro-reef rs100.
no more school so i,ll be able to keep this one!
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61329
Old 01-28-2006, 05:33 PM
Staff

I was using Kent carbon. Basically you can use any carbon that isn't too finely grained or if you use a finer grain just turn down the flow. You don't want the carbon rolling around in there breaking off little bits that might go into your tank. Mostly the use of the reactor increases the efficiency of the media by allowing increased contact with water as you are pushing water up through the media and allowing the water reach all areas of the media vs using a filter bag in your sump.

A lot of people have 2, one for carbon and one for phosban. While I'm running the phosban I will probably go back to running the carbon in a filter sock. I'll see how the phosban works first, if it doesn't appear to be doing anything for my tank, I'll go back to using the reactor for carbon only

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:22 PM

Psyire is on a distinguished road

I've been running one for a few months now, with Seachem Seagel. I just use a maxijet 400 to feed it, and let it go. Seagel is a mixture of Phosguard & Carbon Matrix. So far I have no complaints, but I wasn't using it to fix a problem either, more so as to avoid future problems.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:25 PM

seashells is on a distinguished road

Had 2ppm phosphate levels. Tried using rowaphos in a bag and after 3 or 4 days did not see much of a change. I installed a phosban reactor with rowaphos and was amazed that phosphate levels were reduced by more than half in 24 hours. Using salifert test kit it currently is less .003. I'am very pleased with the results.

Doug
Old 01-28-2006, 09:00 PM

Biotech is on a distinguished road

I have 2 Phosban reactors in my sump. One for PhosBan/Rowaphos and the other one for nitrate sponge (Kent) and Chemipure.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:58 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

I just purchased one but instead of the phosban reactor I purchased the oazone reactor (same thing but cheaper with a couple extra lines you can use for stuff or bypass like I did. it is also UV red so it looks cool. but I am running rowaphos in it and have had no rtn isues or anything.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:37 PM

spikehs is on a distinguished road

Would it be a good/bad idea to mix what you put in there... say carbon/phosphate media/nitrate media? I myself couldn't see a problem with that....
Old 02-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Staff

I think the carbon would long be used up before any of the phosphate removing media. If you put them in nylon filter socks you could change out the carbon more often though.

My 180 Build