Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-22-2005, 11:49 AM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

Just remember that the Powder Blue Tang can be a difficult fish to keep and needs lots of swimming room and excellent and stable water conditions. The Powder Blue along with the Achilles seems to be more prone to getting ich.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:21 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Personally I think those creatures will do fine in that tank. I have 8 fish in my 65 gallon but only one largish fish- regal tang.

As for the dwarf angels, they are hit and miss. I've had flame angels and presently a bi-colored angel and none have ever disturbed my corals.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 12-22-2005, 01:52 PM

mr_alberta is on a distinguished road

The powder blue is one of the hardest tangs to care for as they are very disease prone. If you are new to the hobby I would suggest a hardier and smaller tang or wait a while until you get more experience and your tank matures.

As for the Flame Angel, I know 2 other reefers that had to remove them due to nipping. Like most dwarf angels, it is 50/50.

In my opinion you are at a safe-high side for fish load. Most of the fish you have in your list don't really swim around too much and will establish territories so ensure you have enough hiding places and rock.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:58 AM

JohnM99 is on a distinguished road

I had also wanted a Powder Blue tang - but the longer I have spent looking at them, and the more I have looked at some other tangs, the more I like some of the others.

One in particular is Acanthurus japonicus - one of the two so called Powder Brown - but that name doesn't do it justice - it is REALLY attractive. It also seems to be more inquisitive and enjoyable to watch. The previous comments about the lack of robustness of the Powder Blue are certainly true. Check out Bob Fenner's comments at http://www.wetwebmedia.com/GoldRimSs.htm

A 75 is really the minimum size for any tang - and many people would say too small. 3.5 to 4 feet length is said to be minimum.

And even though the Yellow Tang is thought to be boring by some, it has to be one of my favorite fish - seeing a big school of them in Hawaii is unforgettable - and they have a great "personality".

The blue or regal or hippo tang Paracanthurus hepatus is also very striking looking - a bit skittish, like the Powder Blue, but healthier.

Other Zebrasomas are also good - Sailfins etc -

In fact, tangs are fabulous fish - I would love to have a monster tank that I could fill with tangs. Or another plane ticket to Hawaii.

I agree with the Pseudochromis advice - nasty little beggar.

May also want to consider more flow or even a Tunze surge box - I don't have one but they look great.

Good luck.