Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-01-2005, 02:08 AM

cag is on a distinguished road
Default bubble coral

My bubble corral has been deflating for about 2 weeks. It's been in the reef tank for 9 months and always been fine. The zoos look a bit off too. All the other coral, (Torch leather, mushrooms, whip. bush,frogspawn, etc) looks fine. Do they go through some kind of cycle? I am usto it deflating and changing at night, but this is much more significant, and sometimes all day. The zoos seem to be shrinking too. I check the water regularly. PH 8.1-8.3, KH up a bit, between 200 and 250. Calcuim fine, temp fine, salinity fine, phosphates none, nitrate unreadable. Feeding liquid food, frozen food, and cyclopese, and have good light. Any ideas out there.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:37 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

No advice actually, as I have never had any luck with them at all.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:29 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

I've had torch and hammer corals which are similar to bubble corals and mine did the same thing until they were dead. I can't help you but richtg has kept his torch alive for a long time now, PM him and find out his theory.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 03-02-2005, 05:42 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Do you feed your bubble coral?

When I had mine, I found I did need to feed it. It's odd some LPS are easy to feed, like bubble corals and plates, others I've never been able to find a suitable food for (torch and other euphyllia's).

They are definitely sensitive creatures. I ended up losing my bubble coral when I took a large quantity of live rock out. I guess it just couldn't survive the re-cycle of the tank. Everything else in the tank did fine after the rock removal.

What kind of lighting does it have? I find that LPS tend to prefer more subdued lighting and more subdued currents unlike their SPS cousins.

I'm sorry I don't have anything better to offer.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:44 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

PS. I'll move this to the main reefing forum, you might get more hits on it.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:56 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

That makes sense because Richtg always feeds his torch freeze dried phytoplankton. I never did and that could be why it died.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 03-02-2005, 07:01 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

I feed my torch mysis once in awhile and its doing great (so far)
but I have only had it for about a month.

Danny, how long did you have your torch before it died?