Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics livestock related only)

Old 12-30-2004, 02:59 AM

Bob I is on a distinguished road
Default Fighting Conch for sale.

Does anyone in Calgary need a fighting Conch I got him at one inch, and he has grown to three inches. That is just too big for my tank.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 12-31-2004, 12:25 AM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fighting Conch for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_I
Does anyone in Calgary need a fighting Conch I got him at one inch, and he has grown to three inches. That is just too big for my tank.
I'm curious Bob, seeing as I've forgotten what the requirements are for these creatures - what do they seem to need as far as a filthy sandbed? Will a clean-ish one suffice?

Also, what is a pre-owned FC going for these days?
Old 12-31-2004, 12:40 AM

I don't know what kind of sandbed it needs. Mine used to have a lot of brown algae. That is why it grew so quick. That algae is now gone because even the Bicolor Blenny eats it. As to price I have no idea. It cost me $20.00 because the shipping was only shared by two people. And since it has tripled in size it should worth three times as much, right However, I still need Green Zoos.

Old 01-03-2005, 12:32 PM

vjvl51 is on a distinguished road

Here is what Dr. Ron says about the requirements of fighting conches - "Yes, they look like prime mature specimens of Strombus alatus, the Florida Fighting Conch. These guys need a lot of sand surface with algae on it, to graze on. Figure about 20 square feet each. They may take algal wafers or nori as food, but by and large they graze on diatoms on/in the sand.

They will also need a sand bed about 4 to 6 inches deep, simply to bury into." from - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=352087&

I HTH

Vickie
Old 01-03-2005, 03:29 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvl51
These guys need a lot of sand surface with algae on it, to graze on. Figure about 20 square feet each.

They will also need a sand bed about 4 to 6 inches deep, simply to bury into." from - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=352087&

I HTH

Vickie
I think that is for the queen isn't it. I think they recommend at least 2 sq feet of open sand bed for the fighting conch. anyways mine has been going almost 3 years in approximately that condition. they also do fine in 1" of sand. At least he was right on the diatom/micro algae eating part

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvl51
Here is what Dr. Ron says about the requirements of fighting conches - "Yes, they look like prime mature specimens of Strombus alatus, the Florida Fighting Conch. These guys need a lot of sand surface with algae on it, to graze on. Figure about 20 square feet each. They may take algal wafers or nori as food, but by and large they graze on diatoms on/in the sand.

I HTH

Vickie
I don't think we need to go into the requirements of Fighting Conches, or Queen Conches for that matter. My FC has grown a lot since I got it, and I feel that it would be better for someone with more room to take it off my hands.

Old 01-04-2005, 03:19 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Hi Bob, I could use it. My tank has a large beach front for a 54 corner and about 2 inches of sandbed. Lots of algea diatoms right now too. You have PM.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041