Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-23-2011, 01:07 PM

SteveConn is on a distinguished road
Default 70+ gallon custom

Hi all

New to the board and to SW after years of FW.

Bought a 22 nano during the summer and I've outgrown it. So far, I've managed to keep my small collection of SPS alive (but killed my GSP and one of my toadstools!)

While I am getting my next tank designed, I am wondering what people out there use for controllers. I would like to have ATO, dosing and wave maker setup, but a little confused as to what and how it all fits together. I'm thinking an Apex controller with a Tunze Osmolator ATO, not sure on dosing.. What I am concerned about is how they all work together. I want to get it right the first time.

Any advice is much appreciated!!

BTW.. I am looking for interesting, colorful corals... and a GSP frag... I miss it!!

Thanks

BTW: I've met a few from here to buy frags and at the frag swap @ Red Coral.. its been great meeting all of you.. thanks for the input and the great frags!

Steve
Old 09-23-2011, 01:23 PM

Blom is on a distinguished road

Morning, Im not 100% with the APEX controllers as I have never had one... but I believe you could set yo your own ATO using the controller (all that is needed is a lvl sensor (either optic of float) and a controllable plug with a pump in a RO reservoir. I have had the Tunez ATO and it worked great, but I currently just do what I explained before through the use of my Profilux Controller. As for dosing there are many stand alone units, but from what Ive read the profilux unit seems to keep everyone fairly happy. I will be picking one up in the not to distant future. Here is the GHL page with a list of their units:

http://ghl-direct.com/ghl-dosing.php

A quick google of "APEX DOSING" will give you some other options as well as some methods of programming.

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Seriously shopping around for a new tank
Old 09-23-2011, 03:28 PM

Edmonton newbie is on a distinguished road

you have to post how you managed to kill off gps that alone should get you free frags
Old 09-24-2011, 03:42 AM

Default GSP

Free frags ! LOL

I don't mind that or paying fir it.
Envisioned it growing up against the back of the aquarium.

Steve
Old 09-24-2011, 04:50 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Seriously, can you post instructions on how to kill GSP? I can't seem to make a dent in.

Anyway.. Remind me when you drop by and I'll slip you some complementary GSP *colonies*
Old 09-24-2011, 04:55 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Come to think of it, I have a toadstool that I found in my tank the other day. Must've hitchhiked into my tank somehow. You can have that too!!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:15 AM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

with apex controller, you also need io breakout box, some float switch to control ATO. For dosing, you need to buy dosing pumps from BRS or similar then you are all set. I really recommend Apex because it is very easy to use
Old 09-24-2011, 12:24 PM

ANOTHER night shift.. MAN this is an addictive hobby.. I've spent all my spare time (and there's lots of that) researching my options with controllers, ATO, dosing...

I'm pretty sure I'll end up with the Apex system, the Tunze ATO, Vortech MP40 for wave making.. Dosing pump... hmmm.. GHL looks good but then I've seen good reviews on this one:kamoer-3 .. inclined to stick with more common (GHL)

Questions I have.. if I am getting individually automatic systems..:
1-How do they integrate with a controller like the Apex
2-Whats the real purpose of a "master controller" like Apex?

I know I want the best way to keep my reef stable for growing SPS and to mimic the natural environment.

Last question for the night... Why the heck cant I have been interested in something easier as a hobby, like...I dunno.. monitoring stellar spectroscopy for exoplanet detection??

Last edited by SteveConn; 10-04-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:31 PM

I lie.. one more post :-P

Any thoughts on a large cube type tank (24x27x?26-30high)? Will it be a PITA to acces with that kind of depth (I'm wanting the volume)
Open for discussion is a wider tank but that means I would have to get a custom stand and it would have to look presentable in a main living area.

I live in a wood structure condo, 2nd floor. The tank would be beside a supporting wall, joists running PARALLEL to the tank.

Wondering about weight of tank and disaster vs big, awesome tank!!

...hate compromise!!
Old 10-04-2011, 07:12 AM

Hmm.. can I even call this a build when the tank design is still a sticking point??

Small dilemma: The available space I have to put this tank is restricted by total weight and area free for the tank.
I figure 70-75gal is fine for the DT, maybe 15g for the refugium/sump (is that too small?). I can go as long as 48" but 42 is more likely
I had planned on 18" for depth (front to back of tank) but with an internal overflow, the builder suggests that isnt enough for proper scaping..and I should have 24"
24" is pushing it, 22" would be a max depth. Would a corner overflow solve the problem? Would it create issues with tank flow?
Height of the tank: fine with 20-22" deep..hopefully that will allow me to clean and place stuff in the tank without a problem.

Heres the equipment I already own:
Deltec 200 skimmer (hang-on, can go in sump)
1 high flow korolia (not sure what gph)
1 korolia nano
1 maxijet 900 powerhead (extra flow for sps)
1 Fluval 250 for chemical filtration
1 modular LED kit w/24 LED (12 white/12 RB 3w) + 2 3W RB for moonlight

All this is used on a 22g JBJ Nano with SPS, LPS and a few softies.

What just arrived:
Apex Pro Controller

Whats coming:
2 Vortex 40W ES
2 1.1ml/min BRS dosing pumps for Cal/Alk & Mg
1 50ml/min BRS dosing pump for water topoff
1 Tunze ATO unit
Dual GFO and Carbon reactor w/maxijet powerhead 1200 (295 gph)

Seems like I have most things I need other than the tank itself!

I think my skimmer may need an upgrade to keep pristine water for SPS, but it has to be quiet and minimal overhead needed to take skim cup off

I can get a metal cabinet made (frame) but I need siding put on that would suit easy access to the sump/skimmer...and it has to look good since its all in my main living area (2nd floor, condo)

Lastly.. I need a finished basement :-/ When that happens WOOHOO 400 gal!

Any suggestions, comments??

Thanks!

Last edited by SteveConn; 10-04-2011 at 07:24 AM.