Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-02-2016, 12:21 AM

Howie is on a distinguished road
Default Howie's 82g Tank Journal

Well I decided to start a journal for this tank, I'll try keeping it updated A long story short I ordered my tank in September and got it in mid October. I then sold my 180 and filled this new tank only to find when I got my lights on i found several defects in the glass. Turns out I had bad luck and ended up with a bad batch of starfire that was used on all 3 viewing panes. Concept was great and replaced the 3 affected panels but that meant me tearing it all back down and waiting again. Lol but the wait is over

About the tank.
36×24×22 82g*The 3 sides and one piece euro are starfire, all edges are polished and black silicone.
External overflow. Bean animal drain. Dual returns.
Stand is 36x24x36 Powder coated steel w/magnetic Birch Panels. Painted with a high gloss enamel.
Return pump: Fluval sp4
Skimmer: Vertex Omega 150
Lights: 2 GHL Mitras 6200HV's (2 is*Over kill I know but I had them from my 180*)
Powerhead: Vortech*MP40qd*
Heater: Ebo Jager 250 watt
Doser: GHL 4 chanel doser 2
Reactor: TLF 150 for gfo
ATO: Hydor ato w/Eheim compact 300
Sump is 34x20x17 both the drains drop straight into a 4x7 sock into the skimmer section, then into a lit fuge and then the return section. Also I have ato compartment built in which also is plumbed so I could use it as a cryptic sump if I ever decided to. I went with the 4x7 sock to maximize space to allow*the largest fuge and allow me to have an ato reservoir

Most of the equipment I carried over from my previous tank. Lol and thankfully I found a good used skimmer and I sold my Jebao wavemakers and found a gently used mp40qd. I am very pleased with the quiet drive, definitely quieter on reef crest mode than the jebao on else mode.

The tank has now been running with rock and sand for 5 days...here's sone pics to catch up on things. They are cell pictures but they'll do for now lol

Howie's 82g Tank Journal
Old 01-02-2016, 01:13 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Looks like a great start! Love the rock work.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:28 AM

Geo is on a distinguished road

Nice tank, love the dimensions.

Do you have any livestock from old tank to transfer or is this a fresh start?
Old 01-02-2016, 02:03 AM

Bugger is an unknown quantity at this point

That egg create is such an eye sore to what looks to be an awesome tank. The white pipes could be colored to make it stand out otherwise Im loving this tank
Old 01-02-2016, 02:16 AM

Thanks Brad, I am very pleased how the rock work turned out. Lol I had lots of rocks to work with that came from my 180.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Nice tank, love the dimensions.

Do you have any livestock from old tank to transfer or is this a fresh start?
Thanks, I have some corals from my 180 that are in my frag tank that will eventually go in. Then I had 5 fish that I was going to add but I lost 2 about 2 weeks ago. Looked like fin rot and I must of not caught it in time, they didnt respond to meds well. And a tang that was in my 180 is being rehomed. The fish that are left and wll be added are: Goldstripe maroon clown, longnose hawkfish, and a melanurus wrasse

Howie's 82g Tank Journal
Old 01-02-2016, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger View Post
That egg create is such an eye sore to what looks to be an awesome tank. The white pipes could be colored to make it stand out otherwise Im loving this tank
Lol the eggcrate is there to stop any chaeto from going into my return eventually. Maybe I could come up with a prettier solution. I thought about colored pipes but I won't see much of the sump with the panels on

Howie's 82g Tank Journal
Old 01-02-2016, 03:35 PM

lpsreefer is on a distinguished road

Looks good.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:39 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
Lol the eggcrate is there to stop any chaeto from going into my return eventually. Maybe I could come up with a prettier solution. I thought about colored pipes but I won't see much of the sump with the panels on
I'm on the side of the hobby that doesn't much care what the sump looks like, it's simply a functional piece of equipment. Who cares if it has eggcrate or any other piece of whatever works to do the job. It's covered anyway, and more energy can be put in the display. Does it do the job? Then it works and no point worrying about it.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:06 PM

duncangweller is on a distinguished road

I use the same technique in my sump. Who cares if its not beautiful, like Brad said, if it does the job and doesn't cost a fortune then its a success in my eyes. I'll spend the extra money on fish and Coral.

Tank looks great.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:37 PM
Just a guy..

Another thing. Trim those shims off before you get used to them being there. Or your tank will be 2 yo and still have shims sticking out. Trust me