Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-17-2004, 04:53 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road
Default Shallow Sandbed or No Sandbed

In a few weeks, we will be getting three new tanks to replace current tanks. None of the new tanks will have sumps or refugs, the same as the current tanks are.

A 37g (24" x 18" x 24" h) will replace our 42g hex. A 67g (36" x 18" x 24" h) will replace our 28g. The 67g will be placed where the 28g currently is, and the 37g will be placed where the 28g is. Have cured rock in a lit, heated, aerated rubbermaid tub waiting to be added to the 67g.

A 120g (48" x 24" 24" h) will replace our 72g and will reside where the 72g is.

I have moved tanks before, most of them with DSBs, so I don't see a problem doing all the switching around. Have plenty of tubs, pails, extra heaters and PHs for livestock, rock and sandbeds. Will do the two small tanks at the same time, then do the 120g another day when my back stops hurting

The problem I'm having is regarding the aragonite sandbeds. Currently, all tanks have 3"+ sandbeds and I'm thinking of going with only 1" sandbeds for all three tanks. The obvious thing to do, imo, is to remove and use the top portions of the current sandbeds in the new tanks. What do I do with the bottom portion of the sandbeds? Anybody want this stuff?

Also, the thought of doing no sandbeds has caught my attention from a thread at RC: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...e&pagenumber=1

Anybody here doing sandless tanks? Anybody doing shallow beds? Would like to hear the pros and cons of your experiences with both. Thanks

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 06-17-2004, 05:05 PM

Richer is on a distinguished road

Nothing too constructive to add here... but if you need help moving your tanks, or want to unload your extra sand on someone else, I'll do it

-Richer
Old 06-17-2004, 06:21 PM

Willito is on a distinguished road
Default sandbed

I have a shallow sandbed approx. 1.5" and it serves my setup just fine, mind you I have 120g with about 170lb fiji, 10g refug, and 30g sump.
I think as long as you have enough rocks to maintain the constant break down of waste you're okay with a shallow bed. However, I wouldn't go without a sandbed. For one, it just doesn't look natural for a reef to have a bare bottom. Secondly, the aragonite sand plays a major role of naturally buffering alk, ph, Ca, etc. to keep things at a desirable balance. Without the sand, you will have more work to maintain this equilibrium.

-Will
Old 06-17-2004, 07:20 PM

monza is on a distinguished road

In my display tank I have a bare bottom and I like it. Nothing really unnatural about it, live rock and corals all over with coraline all over the glass. Really good for siphoning detritus off the bottom and lots of water flow with no sand blowing issues. I think it works well, just looks different (flame suit on)...looks better.

I do have a deep sand bed in my sump it works real well there and have "yet" to have any sand bed issues.

Dave
Old 06-17-2004, 08:15 PM

Mother Reefer is on a distinguished road

I have a shallow sand bed and I like it. My tank is 4yrs (in Sept) no nitrates or amn, my readings are very stable. I like the look opposed to bare bottoms which I find very artificial looking and not very pleasing to the eye.(which IMO is one of the top reasons for a tank) I have zoos etc that sit on the s.b. and I can't even image how terrible they'd look sitting on a b.b.

I do water changes on average every 2weeks, I've missed them for various reasons and only got around to doing once a month (x-max for example) and no problems what so ever.

I've read about bare bottoms and they are supposed to be higher maintenance. You still get the filtration help from a s.s.b.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:01 PM

Richer,

You are welcome to some of the sandbed. May even need some help with moving tanks, etc. We live downtown, visitor parking at rear of building. PM me with your phone number and I'll let you know when it's going to be happening.

Will,

I think some sand makes the tank look nicer too. Had an indoor goldfish pond a few years back in our old house. Started out with substrate, but couldn't clean it well enough during weekly water changes. People on the GF list i was on were all raving about their bare bottom tanks, but I couldn't see myself doing that. Long story short, I ended up with a BB pond with several polished rocks from the craft store. Got to like the look of it eventually and was a snap to clean.

Your statement that the sandbed helps with Ca and buffering is a good one. However, I'm guessing that over time, this diminishes and the aragonite must be replaced.

Dave,

Would love to see some pics of your BB tanks. Because I'll have no sumps/refugs, it would be easy to siphon out detritus during the weekly water change. Given enough time and Ca, coraline will grow all over the bottom.

M. Reefer,

Looks are definitely part of the appeal of a reef tank. Appreciate your comments.

Thanks for the comments so far. Any other comments, pics - YES- PICS, experiences either pro or con?

Old 06-17-2004, 10:52 PM

Richer is on a distinguished road

This isn't my tank... but I thought it looked beautiful and its barebottom.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/totm/

This person used starboard on the bottom of the tank.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=354940

-Richer
Old 06-18-2004, 12:17 AM

What is starboard and why would someone use it?

Old 06-18-2004, 12:27 AM

Quagmire is on a distinguished road

Starboard is the plastic flooring for boats,its white so its suposed to look more natural.You can pick it up at most marine stores.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:55 AM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Bev, I have reduced the sandbed in my 50 to about two inches, and in my new 33G semicube it is around one inch. I am quite happy with both. BTW I think an Aragonite sandbed will only buffer if the PH drops. Over the years I have not lost any Aragonite.

---------Homer Simpson--------