Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-01-2013, 05:01 AM

geweagle is on a distinguished road
Default LED Lighting selection

Hello all,
I am new at this. I have just started a saltwater system, 80 gal. 48" long, 24" deep tank. It was fresh before so I need to upgrade the lighting. I was looking at T5's fixtures, but the more I read the more I am looking at LED's. Initial cost is a high, so I don't want to break the bank, but I do want to have corals. I know they pay in the long run, but got to afford the startup. I was looking at the Vertex Illumilux IV LED Fixture - Dolce Bianco. But I just cannot find anthing to say if it is enough light.

Also there are so many things to add to LED fixtures. So the second question is: does this unit need anything to run it? Or is it a plug and play? At least to start. I cannot even get enough from the manufacture site. It talks all the techno-jargen, but not something simple like how you run it.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. If this is not the right choice maybe you could suggest something else that does not break the bank.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2013, 05:05 AM

Acrowhora is on a distinguished road

what's your budget and what type of coral are you planning to keep?SPS?LPS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by geweagle View Post
Hello all,
I am new at this. I have just started a saltwater system, 80 gal. 48" long, 24" deep tank. It was fresh before so I need to upgrade the lighting. I was looking at T5's fixtures, but the more I read the more I am looking at LED's. Initial cost is a high, so I don't want to break the bank, but I do want to have corals. I know they pay in the long run, but got to afford the startup. I was looking at the Vertex Illumilux IV LED Fixture - Dolce Bianco. But I just cannot find anthing to say if it is enough light.

Also there are so many things to add to LED fixtures. So the second question is: does this unit need anything to run it? Or is it a plug and play? At least to start. I cannot even get enough from the manufacture site. It talks all the techno-jargen, but not something simple like how you run it.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. If this is not the right choice maybe you could suggest something else that does not break the bank.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2013, 05:27 AM

About $500.00 and if I understand the terms both. Wife wants some hard corals
Old 07-01-2013, 07:00 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Since your budget is low, look into evergrow LED. You can keep sps under it and those lights have good reviews too.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 07-01-2013, 09:49 AM

So are you both saying that the Vertex is not enough light?

I was looking at the Vertex Illumilux IV LED Fixture - Dolce Bianco. But I just cannot find anthing to say if it is enough light.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:51 AM

jason604 is on a distinguished road

I'm using taotronics dimmable led lights I purchased on amazon and they are wonderful my tank is a 75g that consists of half sps and half lps. The lights were only under $200 each and my sps that I purchased from other reefers seem to grow so fast and color up even more. Believe it or not but I'm only using one fixture even tho my tank has a centre brace which blocks quite a bit of light in the middle. I will most likely buy another one when I upgrade my tank size. Been running for 2-3 months and so far no corals have died and grew super fast and amazing.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:44 PM

iceman86 is on a distinguished road

You can do a diy led kit which isnt hard to build at all. http://www.aquastyleonline.com/produ...mable-Kit.html thats the kit id recomend and is plenty of light for sps. You can always get a smaller kit and then order the different color leds extra if you want a broader spectrum which is what I did. I went with the 36 led kit (they sent me 40) 20 white/20 royal blue then I also added 20 regular blue. Seems thsts the combo most high end lights run these days. You could get red, green, yellow etc but corals dont really use much of it and there's also a lot of debate about those colours whether they benefit you or your algae lol You must get dimmable or you will cook everything. I cooked a mushroom on the sandbed when I first got it.

My tank is a little bigger than yours and im running 60 leds and I can cook sps if I dont turn the intensity down.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:58 PM

don.ald is on a distinguished road

Quote:
T5s will work fine for all coral
It's a good way to start with a tight budget
Old 07-01-2013, 07:02 PM

chewie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Since your budget is low, look into evergrow LED. You can keep sps under it and those lights have good reviews too.
I agree. Running something similar (purchased from different company pm for more info if interested) They are dimmable and have built in timers for attinics and for whites.
For the price, just under $200 each, they are a great fixture. I have 2 over a 6 foot tank and since upgrading to leds my corals are coloring up great and have grown twice as fast as before. (was running 2-400w metal halides and 4 supplimental t-5 ho lights)
Not only that my water temp is now a steady 28 deg, and no more expensive bulb changes. Oh and the corals sure do glow under just blues.
Cheap LED fixtures all the way
Old 07-01-2013, 07:09 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So are you both saying that the Vertex is not enough light?

I was looking at the Vertex Illumilux IV LED Fixture - Dolce Bianco. But I just cannot find anthing to say if it is enough light.
Vertex doesn't have a very good reputation for growing SPS as far as I know.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob