Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 05-24-2013, 03:39 PM

darkreef is on a distinguished road
Default clean old sand

so i bought someones tank the other day because they upgraded.
they gave me around 50lbs of live(dead now) sand .. i want to clean it and reuse it and add live rock to seed it. whats a good way to clean sand. i live in a apartment and im willing to work my butt off to do it. i cleaned 100lbs of play sand for my fresh water took two days . thanks
Old 05-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

i use a small pail in the sink and place a small amount of sand in it. fill with water then start grabbing handfulls and grinding it against itself and thoroughly swishing it around. fill again and repeat until the water runs clear. then i scoop from that pail with my fine fish net and run each scoop under the tap to remove fines and dump into my clean container.

i used this method to do my 50 lbs in my tank and i literally dumped my sand in and the tank remained completely clear. the grinding is great for exfoliating too lol.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:28 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
i use a small pail in the sink and place a small amount of sand in it. fill with water then start grabbing handfulls and grinding it against itself and thoroughly swishing it around. fill again and repeat until the water runs clear. then i scoop from that pail with my fine fish net and run each scoop under the tap to remove fines and dump into my clean container.

i used this method to do my 50 lbs in my tank and i literally dumped my sand in and the tank remained completely clear. the grinding is great for exfoliating too lol.
I do the same but use a large bucket and the tub. I also skip the net part.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:27 AM

hfp75 is on a distinguished road

i put the old sand in a bucket, put a garden hose into it (to the bottem), and with a hand or two work the sand until it is all clean water running from the bucket - and I do it in my yard/driveway.