Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 06-09-2004, 01:46 AM

fishguyxd is on a distinguished road
Default new person here

Hi I am looking who are some of the retailers in and around Calgary for tanks and Lr,fish and coral. I in up here in edmonton trying to get a start at this. if anyone can inform me of good equipement to get( Without breaking the bank) I currently looking at a 75 gal with a possible overflow installed already not sure what kind of skimmer or sump to get or powerheads heaters etc etc.please and thanks.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:05 AM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

I would start out with a few books, which you can likely obtain at Aquarium Illusions. Perhaps some other folks can recommend suitable titles, but I think Fenner's "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" is one.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 06-09-2004, 02:32 AM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road

Keep your eye on the Buy/Sell forum on this site, tanks come up from time to time. (You want to save money, right?) Anyways, good luck with that... the best way to do so is to make some friends, join the local club, help out etc, and make it known that you're starting out and need advice and -eventually- equipment.

Take it slow, read a LOT, and scour all the internet boards for information. After you narrow it down to what you think you want, take another 6 months to reaearch some MORE, then make a decision. Oh, and that one is 50-50 too...

Start small and see if this demanding and addictive hobby is really for you. then go from there.

Cheers!